Thread: Re-starting Citalopram?

Unhappy Re-starting Citalopram?

Hi all,

I came off Citalopram a year ago, after being on it for 2 1/2 years.

However I am starting to think I am almost back to being as debilitated as I was when I was first put on them. For the past couple months particularly, I have angrily denied that I am depressed and fought my case that I am just frustrated at constantly feeling unwell/ill and not being able to enjoy life.

I have not been to the Drs to discuss this, as I am scared that they may prescribe the Cit. to me again and I just cannot forget how awful the side effects were when I started them. I have awful health anxiety anyway and emetophobia and it's almost this alone that is preventing me from seeking help at the moment.

My question is to those who have stopped the Cit, then had to re-start them again; were the side effects any less at all when taking them again? Would the body recognise the drug and accept it more quickly or is it the same as if it's never had it before?

I feel like I'm in a catch 22 situation at the moment and I just don't know what to do

Re: Re-starting Citalopram?

I have been on them 3 separate times and found the roughness of the start-up period about the same each time. I always found the extra anxiety to be the worst part and the sides to be relatively mild.

As you have been here before you will know what to expect and will have to weigh the pros and cons of starting again and make your choice.

If the Citalopram worked well for those years you were on them, is the rough start-up really to much cope with if it means your going to be well again?

ATB,

Steve

Re: Re-starting Citalopram?

Hi MonkeyMo

I was on Citalopram for just over two years and have been off it now for just over a year. I suffer from health anxiety and together with a couple of other things going on in my life at the moment I felt myself going down that slippery slope I was on before so I decided to go back on the Cit. I have been on 10mg for the past two weeks with no side effects at all except a slightly spaced feeling for the first day or two. I upped it to 20mgs 2 days ago and am feeling slightly worse at the moment - heightened anxiety and waking up at about 4 a.m. but side effects not nearly as bad as the first time. I think the benefits outway the short time discomfort that you may suffer.

Hope this helps and I wish you luck

BJ

Thread Information