Thread: Omeprazole..may be a bit of an essay sorry

Omeprazole..may be a bit of an essay sorry

Just wondered if anyone else is currently taking this?

I had another bad IBS flare up last Thursday, which progressed over the weekend and I ended up with searing pain across my upper abdomen. I've had a similar pain before and was prescribed Omep. for (suspected I should say) gastritis. Anyway I went to the Docs this Monday and she said it was most likely due to acid reflux and so has put me on Omeprazole again.

Now I have taken a 4 week course of this on two occasions before, both within a few months of each other but over 5 years ago. I experienced no side effects both of those times and felt better pretty quickly. However within a couple of days of starting the Omep. on this occassion, I have had constant waves of nausea and cannot sort my bowels out. Since having a bad IBS flare up I have barely been able to eat anyway and am doing little more than sleeping/watching TV. I had to miss a couple of days off work but I cannot be off forever (I wish...) and so I am struggling through that now too. I'm just so sick of having pain and diarrhoea! At the moment it feels like my sister who has Chrons, is having a better time than me.

I'm feeling so low about everything at the moment, I've just had to cancel an event which I had booked months in advance, due to all of this going on and I am supposed to be going to a wedding on the 1st Sept. which I am now dreading. I literally always have to cancel everything at the last minute due to my 'health' (or lack of it).

Any words of advice or support would be much appreciated right now...

Re: Omeprazole..may be a bit of an essay sorry

I recently had it for a month and it did make my diarrhea worse at the time.

I too have Crohn's like your sister.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It does state on the data sheet that a lot of 'gastro' symptoms are the most common complaints, I just found it odd that having been on it twice before I never had any adversities.

Sorry to hear that Nicola, I know that really IBS is nothing like Crohns (I can't believe I even spelt it wrong..my head is all over the place at the moment.) I'm just feeling a bit sorry for myself at the mo.

My sister developed it at the age of 7, she's about to turn 18 now and has also battled anorexia as a 'by-product' after learning to associate food with pain (although she has now reached a stable condition thankfully).

I never had problems before either but then I was only on it for about 2 weeks last time. When I had it recently I was on it for a month and it definitely made the bowel problems worse.

I didn't notice your mispelling lol

I am glad your sister is ok. I was diagnosed very late in life - aged 40 with it - which is quite rare so I like to be different lol

I have IBS as well and it is rotten isn't it? I know my Crohn's is ok at the moment so it must be the IBS that is giving me grief.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Any idea regarding the main topic as it tells something about Omeprazole, maybe a bit of an essay sorry? If you know anything then kindly help us here as we don't know what this was all about. Will you try cv professional writers now? That is what we all should go for that at this time of the year.

I've been on omeprazole before but it didn't work for me as well as lansoprazole so that's what I take long term now. I've got a hiatus hernia, but also have general problems with my digestive system whenever my anxiety is high or prolonged, IBS, gastritis, all sorts. Thankfully not crohn's. It doesn't upset my tummy thankfully -- although to be honest I probably wouldn't notice when I'm anxious because it's all over the place anyway. But when I'm not anxious the lansoprazole doesn't affect me that way.

i didnt get on with omeprazole it gave me bad anxiety and made me panicky. I am on Lansoprazole now but not sure if this is giving me more bloating and wind and discomfort. I came off it for a couple of days as had a barium meal Xray i think i felt better than when not on it! But i have to try it for a month doctor said. I am still waiting for my results from barium. I would check with GP x

Thread Information