Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good to see men posting

Re: Good to see men posting

Hi Richard

It is good that you have support and people to confide in. It is also good men are starting to share about anxiety/depression which I think both run together. I have a network of family and friends who understand my mental health issues but my pride sometimes stops me from using them. Also when I spoke to my shrink/g.p/local mental health care team they seemed to imply I should be able to manage my symptoms without ongoing support from the NHS resources. So I am confused sometimes I hate to think I am being a burden yet on the other hand when I needed the support of the NHS they seem to brush me off as your not ill enough to warrant more support. It can be a frustrating illness.

Take care

Steven.....

Quote Originally Posted by neowallace View Post
    Hi Richard

It is good that you have support and people to confide in. It is also good men are starting to share about anxiety/depression which I think both run together. I have a network of family and friends who understand my mental health issues but my pride sometimes stops me from using them. Also when I spoke to my shrink/g.p/local mental health care team they seemed to imply I should be able to manage my symptoms without ongoing support from the NHS resources. So I am confused sometimes I hate to think I am being a burden yet on the other hand when I needed the support of the NHS they seem to brush me off as your not ill enough to warrant more support. It can be a frustrating illness.

Take care

Steven.....
    Hi Steven.

Yes i find it quite important to have people to confide in my own family bless them just do not understand mental health issues, but if yours do great stuff,you have hit on a problem with men and mental health illlness as you have said pride often stops you asking them for help even if people who you ask understand.

Which was always a problem in the past with the older generations thinking, i call them the "pull yourself together generation" if only it was that easy unfortnately as we know with real mental health that sort of attitude is useless .

I think even today men do not like to admit they are only human and suffer in silence i got over that hang up years ago.

What sort of mantal health support you get from the NHS depends very much where you live,in my area it is not bad my GP is sympthetic and even if the appointments are limited to 10 mins he gives me longer and is a real help,in the past i have had a CPN, and outpatient Psychiatry, its is your entitlement to be treated so never feel like a burden,you may have to fight a little though to get what you need,a CPN may be what you need to help manage your illness effectively,they should know mental health issues if they are medium-bad cannot be managed on your own,that attitude makes me mad.

Yes its a frustrating illness alright.

And there is still work to do to get men to open up more like they do on this forum.

All the best and take care remember your entitled to the help you need and are not a burden.

Richard.
    Last edited by Richard1960; 14-08-12 at 12:57.

Hi Richard

Many thanks for your post back sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I will thank you for your encouraging words. To be honest I have had support from mental health services but they seem convinced I can deal with things myself. I see they are trying to boost my confidence by saying I can get over my anxieties and depression on my own. I keep telling them I can do with the support but have been made to feel like I am a big baby who needs look after. In my area there is a Mental Health Advocacy team who can help support you so I have registered with them. Thanks again for your reply and also take care as well....

Steven:-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information