Thread: fear of driving

fear of driving

I just spent an hour writing out a long post all about my fear of driving and how worthless I feel, about how I have always been nervous, but I managed to pass my driving test, I had hidden my fear from my parents, who unexpectantly bought me a car, and pushed me to drive it, I had a small accident and got stuck in a traffic jam, causing panic attacks, and since my fear has got worse and worse, I feel pathetic and ashamed and don't know how to tell anyone close to me, my fear is ruining my life, I have become emotionally fragile andhave started hurting myself. However as I tried to submit my post I had to log in again, I did so, was told to go back and reload, I did, and my post was gone. That was the first time I had gathered all my experiences, and now they are gone. I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Re: fear of driving

Sorry you lost your post.

It is because after an hour you are classed as inactive.

If you click on the "remember me" box when logging in that should help

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Supersnail, I too have a fear of driving. I could only make short journeys to the supermarket etc. just started on citalopram 20mg a week ago and find driving a little easier. Driving phobia is very common, more so than you'd think. I'm hoping to eventually be able to drive to work again in the near future but I'm not pitting too much pressure on myself, it'll happen when it happens. Sorry to hear you lost your post, very frustrating! Keep posting xx

Hello
    I'm so sorry to hear about you losing all you'd written but hopefully it helped to put it down even if no one read it. Maybe one day you'll feel you have the patience to write it again

I understand your fear of driving as I have a fear of being in a car so I would never be able to drive. Congrats on passing your test. If you don't want to go through telling people about your phobia and explaining it then go to a doctor, you may be put on medication to help to slow your brain down a little and calm you or they may send you to CBT to help you to over come your fear.
    As for panics, try to talk to someone in a health shop or chemist, there are lots of rescue remedies for calming the mind (and there are ones which are proven to work, they aren't all totally homeopathic.)
    You could tell someone close to you and the two of you could practice so you have some moral support. Maybe very late at night when no one is on the road you and a friend could just gently work on going nice and slow for a short distance and then work your way into faster and longer when you're ready.

Whatever happens I wish you good luck x

I passed my test 2 months ago and since passing im terrified of driving on my own ! :( Im even to scared to drive the car from the front of the house to the back which is ridiculous !
    I no how you feel its horrible but hopefully we can get through this.

Smile Re: fear of driving

Sorry to hear about your post getting lost that is frustrating. I can totally relate to you with your driving phobia, I passed my driving test 3 years ago been in the car a few times, I have never had any accidents or anything like that but the fear of me hurting someone has put me off driving completely. I have had 2 cars bought for me, one brand new, the other an old one and still can't seem to have the confidence and the courage to drive them so my parents sold them. I'm hoping one day I will have the confidence to drive again and maybe take a crash course in driving before to help (maybe that will help you). If you ever need to chat, there is a lot of lovely people who will listen and understand. Keep your chin up I know it is hard x

Thread Information