Thread: MRI and Lumbar puncture MS or not?

MRI and Lumbar puncture MS or not?

HI

I had an MRI about a month ago, the neuro said he was just doing it to relieve my anxiety about ms fears ( numb legs, swallowing problem etc) but it came back with a large number of small 'spots' deep in the brain. So now I have to have a lumbar puncture tomorrow and some electrical tests.

1 I am quite scared of having the lumbar puncture they said you have to stay for a couple of hours afterwards.

2 Has anyone had 'spots' on their brain and been fine?

I feel very conflicted between my anxiety and my intuition. Usually my intuition is right and that scares me cause it is telling me something is wrong. But is that anxiety overiding I dont know.
    this has bee a long time problem a number of years so tomorrow will end the wondering, but am worried about the answer.

Re: MRI and Lumbar puncture MS or not?

Tough call, Butterfly. My husband's MS was confirmed via lumbar puncture after an inconclusive MRI. I have to admit it wasn't the most pleasant experience of his life but on balance wouldn't it be better knowing what you are dealing with than potentially continue to worry about something unnecessarily?

I do understand why you are anxious though - anybody would be. Please let us know what you decide and how it goes x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Re: MRI and Lumbar puncture MS or not?

Hi

You can have spots on your brain from things like migranes etc or other reasons.

I would also say a Lumbar Puncture is not a definitive test as there are msers who have had it and it came up normal or people whos came up with problems who did not have MS.

To diagnose MS they will need to follow the Revised Mcdonald tests google it and print it out for when you next see your doctor.

I doubt it is MS and will keep my fingers crossed im sure its just anxiety but better to get checked to ease your mind. Also did the do the MRI with contrast and without contrast?

Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Thread Information