Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 weeks on fluoxetine, feeling very low

Re: 5 weeks on fluoxetine, feeling very low

I had a pretty bad night last night - couldn't sleep and felt the need to move my legs every few seconds. I'm wondering whether I should start taking the tablet in the morning...another annoying side effect I've noticed is a drop in libido.

I'm considering taking maybe 20mg every two days instead or breaking open the capsule and mixing it with juice so I can take 10mg a day. It seems to be working for my intrusive thoughts so I'm wondering whether I can get by on a smaller amount of fluox...

---------- Post added at 08:25 ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 ----------

Scamp - it seems to be that people experience a 'golden period' after 4-5 weeks when they feel better, but then experience a short-term 'rebound' effect regarding the side effects. I'm hoping that's what I'm experiencing at the moment. Try to stick it out in the meantime - give it a few more weeks before you decide whether its for you. Many people seem to come off medication prematurely without giving it time to get settled.

I am in the same boat. Been on fluoxetine 20mg for a few years and was doing ok, but in the last 6months or so I went downhill with anxiety returning and then the onset of depression as a result. I had a breakdown at work and went to see my gp who increased my fluoxetine to 40mg per day. That was nearly 5 weeks ago now. I had some good days last week and thought I was making progress but this week so far I feel so low. I cant stop crying and am scared of everything. I try talking to my family but I know it upsets them too. So frustrating that the pills havent kicked in yet!!

Hi all, I am sending you all a big hug
    I thought I was the only one in the world feeling like this, I have felt so isolated and scared. It helps to see that we are in the same boat.

A little update on me: I spent the whole day yesterday in bed in a strange mood, not depressed or anxious really. In the afternoon I got up (and spent time with my 5 year old daughter and my husband), and I had a sensation in my head when it felt like the fluoxetine was filling my brain and "lighting it up". The sensation lasted for many hours. Today I am at work, and although I have felt a little uneasy until noon, I now have almost the same feeling as yesterday, its like fluoxetine is smoothing my brain. It is not a strong or overwhelming feeling, and I sometimes feel a weak anxiety which passes quickly.

Emphyrio, thanks for updating us, I think it is important to realize that this takes time. And when we get our downs after feeling good, it is just a "short-term 'rebound' effect regarding the side effects", as Emphyrio said.

I do not expect that the good feeling will last, it is probably too early. I have informed people at work that my mood is unstable and that I can get anxiuos or depressed all of a sudden.

To sum up, I have now been on fluoxetine for 5 days (5 mg) and 38 days (10 mg). I take it in the morning. I tried to up the dose twice, first to 20 mg (became super anxious and restless), and then to 15 mg (became anxiuos), so after discussing it with my doc, I am staying at 10 mg.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

I just wanted to add that I am on a 50% sick leave, so most of the days I stay at home hiding from the world.... Hope this will change

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

By the way, How are you all doing?

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

The good feeling didn't last, now I am so sad...

Don't worry too much Piano, it sounds like you're starting to see some positivity now - hang in there

Hi

Just thought I would post a very positive experience I had with Prozac.

I have suffered with anxiety for 27 years after being bullied at work - and was given lorazepam at the time as SSRIs were not around - I plodded on for a few more years but at the time I did not realise I had Pure OCD. I had a very bad time with anxiety and depression in 1996 and went to see my GP who prescrived Prozac 20mg. I started it and the side effects were horrific - an increase in anxiety - so bad I had to return to my parents - I was able to have lorazepam - when needed. But out of all anti depressants Prozac has been the worst - shaking, crying, terrible dyspepsia (heartburn) every side effect under the book and no internet access then! I plodded on, felt terrible and thought these are making me worse the depression is terrible, even asked the doctor if I could up the dose but he said not at this stage.

Week by week the side effects went alittle but was determined to stick with them - by about the 12th week mark was starting to feel much better - so much so booked in for driving lessons - this was remarkable! This really took my mind off things the heartburn was still there and took Omeprazole for it. To cut a long story short passed by test - first time and my life really took off - got a proper job, married, moved house - more normal things went on holidays - it made be feel so more "normal" no weird thoughts.

Summary

Piano has asked me to write something inspiring to you fellow sufferers - all I can say is stick with it - it worked great for me for 15 years - then it stopped working - my little dog died suddenly in front of me in October 2011 and I cannot find anything that has worked as well - how I wish I could get my old life back - my doc told me double it and that time and that made me really ill - the anxiety was unbearable - I had to stop it - tried it again but alas no longer worked. It had ran its course.

I found Prozac to work very slowly - and 20mg is the dose to be on imo - have some diazepam to hand as it is a very stimulating drug. Apparently it is supposed to be the weakest out of all the SSRIs? Not sure about that one.

Imo - you must not play around with doses - Piano - bite the bullit and stick to 20mg! take some diazepam if needed - this is the therapeutic dose in the UK. The anxiety will get better I promise you that.

I am on Effexor 225mg - still early days - but still waiting for lift off.

I hope I have given some inspiration to you all.

You will get there some quicker than others but Prozac changed my life for the good.

Take care Laura x

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

ps - always take my meds early evening around 6pm

the aniexty will pass it takes time for the meds to work sometimes doics will give you dizampam to help with the really bad times keep smiling

Thank you Laura for your reassuring post! 12 weeks is a long time to wait for the prozac effect...! I hope Effexor will work nicely for you

About the 10 mg dose: my dr wants me to stay on it. I tried to up it (without telling my dr), but I just got super anxious. I have googled the dose and it seems that it is prescribed in the US for anxiety. But maybe it takes longer to work than with a 20 mg dosage regimen? Anyone on this forum who knows?

And thank you, katyjohnstone, for comforting us

Are you in america Piano?

Norway

Norway! Cool! So meeting for a coffee is out then lol!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information