Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin and ME- from Black Hole to Super Nova or a small cool faint RED Dwarf?

Re: Pregabalin and ME- from Black Hole to Super Nova or a small cool faint RED Dwarf?

Hi David,

I think I was the same with work - always a low level of anxiety, but generally able to cope. What tipped things for me was being given a management position - something I didn't actively seek, and which I don't think I'm totally suited to. I kept going for five years, but in the end I had to call it quits.

The good news is that, not so long after, the chance for my current job came along (plus pregabalin). So here I am in Japan, and pretty happy (most of the time).

So keep fighting. You never know the twists and turns that life can take.

Hanshan
    Last edited by hanshan; 31-08-12 at 09:44.

Re: Pregabalin and ME- from Black Hole to Super Nova or a small cool faint RED Dwarf?

Day 15 Tuesday 27-08-2012

Overall coping a bit better with stress and anxiety being controlled – stressful work meetings today but managed to keep it together

7am Pregabalin 200mg
    8pm Pregabalin 200mg

Day 16/17 Wednesday/Thursday 28/29-08-2012

Wednesday a bad day in bed could not go to work very tired and depressed – anxiety raised a bit but still well controlled I think (before pregabalin I would have been an anxiety ridden ball) – Thursday better – managed to go to work for a few hours and went for a swim in the evening

7am Pregabalin 200mg
    8pm Pregabalin 200mg

Day 18 Friday 30-08-2012

Bad day in bed could not go to work very tired and depressed – anxiety raised a bit but still well controlled I think – did not get to work

7am Pregabalin 150mg
    8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Day 19 Saturday 31-08-2012

Started new AD - no sleep – awake at 12pm – no anx or significant depression just no motivation

7am Pregabalin 150mg
    8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Day 20/21 Sunday/Monday 1/2-09-2012

In bed most of the time but not anxious or depressed – really odd just complete lack of motivation – locked in head with thoughts

7am Pregabalin 150mg
    8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Hi David,

Good to hear that pregabalin seems to be continuing to limit your anxiety. Not so good to hear about the work stress and lack of motivation.

My experience is that pregabalin may contribute to a slight levelling out of all feelings, but not to the extent of feeling demotivated. Perhaps your new AD will help. I've read that motivation is related to dopamine, but I'm no expert here.

In my experience, solving one problem for me has simply unleashed another that had been hiding in the background. But overall, the path has been forward.

Take care (or as they say in Japan - I'm learning - Ki o tsukete, ne).

Hanshan
    Last edited by hanshan; 04-09-12 at 10:15.

Yes - I think you are correct Hanshan- I feel that each drug that seems to work for me fills in part of the puzzle. The pregabalin so far has been a real success stroy - I have been amazed by the effect it has had on my anxiety. Having said this it is by no means a panacea for my psychiatric issues- it has removed a very significant and debilitating component of my disease which has almost clarified what other elements are there to be tackled. The depression and motivation issues are high on the list - I have actually started a new AD which has more of an effect on dopamine (for reasons you eluded to this may help). If I can crack this and if the pregabalin continues to work it will be amazing. Half my life has been consumed by these conditions- no real regrets - it has been colourful if somewhat painful at times but i really want the last bit of my life to be played out more in the real world than inside my head (or put another way that an Ozzie might understand i want to escape from Leunig's Whale of Doom)
    Thanks for the Japanese lesson No.2
    David

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Day 22 Tuesday 3-09-2012

Sleep cycle seems way off the wall – i.e. still wide awake at 6 am – just lying in bed waiting for sleep – mood improved – no anxiety – motivation also increasing but just can’t sleep
    My Doctors don’t seem to take this seriously- since I was a little boy- I have never slept – the average time to sleep over my whole life has probably been about ~ 3 hours- at present it is 5-6 hrs
    Without getting into some type of sleep pattern my life (esp. work which is becoming precarious) is out the window

7am Pregabalin 150mg
    8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Hi David,

Leunig - the drug-free antidote to gloominess. One should always have a copy of classic Leunig cartoons by one's side to enlighten darker moments.

It's good to hear that pregabalin has worked for you - it doesn't for everyone. Hopefully the new AD will help restore motivation, and has the the melatonin arrived? It may help with sleep onset.

As for the doctors not seeming to be worried about your sleep problem, I long ago formed the view that if doctors had no cure for a condition, but they knew it was not life threatening, they invariably dismissed it as a trivial complaint.

Or as they say in Japan - Oyasumi nasai - Good night (literally "Please rest").

Hanshan
    Last edited by hanshan; 05-09-12 at 21:34.

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

You are right Hanshan
    This is my favourite (and I am partial on sardines on toast!)
    David

Hi David,

I think I had this Leunig cartoon on a calendar a few years ago. It still brings a smile to my face.

Week 4

Anxiety completely under control – really can’t believe how well the pregabalin is working. Sleep variable – generally need sleeping tablets to get some sleep but at least I am getting a bit more (Hanshan – I am still waiting for the mail-order melatonin to arrive!) - mood fairly low but maybe a bit better. Overall surviving – very positive re anxiety – just trying to rein the other wayward elements of my psyche!

7am Pregabalin 150mg
    8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Hi David,

Good news to hear that the anxiety is under control.

If the new AD raises dopamine levels and motivation, it still may take three to four weeks from starting the AD for it to take effect.

Finally, hopefully the melatonin will arrive (and not the homeopathic variety).

Enjoy your sardines on toast.

Hanshan

Week 5

Anxiety still under control but mood continues to spiral down - I am now virtually bedridden - I am not sure if this could be the pregabalin? I am going to reduce the dose to 75mg BID – I spoke to my psychiatrist re dopamine - she didn't seem to know about it (i.e. relative effects of different ADs and impact on motivation etc - i am serious she actually asmy asked me which AD I would recommend) Anyway I will see what happens with the new pregab dose!

7am Pregabalin 75mg
    8pm Pregabalin 75mg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information