Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Batophobia/Acrophobia?

Re: Batophobia/Acrophobia?

i know this is an old thread, but someone referred me to it.

I've had this phobia for as long as i can remember. and while for most people, it seems its a fears of only high ceilings, mine is also a fear of the sky. If i look up at the sky, i feel as though i'm going to .."fly off into space." I know it sounds ridiculous, but its what it feels like. and when i look up at the high ceilings, i feel disoriented, and i feel as though i'm going to just fly off into something, or fall.

I'm with you guys! I'm so glad i'm not alone in this

Hi I am new here, my 4 year old son has been having a problem with a fear of high ceilings for the last year. Has a very hard time with school gyms. We have tried many things, rewards, wearing a cap,etc. I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried treatment and if it worked. He starts school this August and I am really worried.

Red face Re: Batophobia/Acrophobia?

I suffer from batophobia.. Although it has gotten a bit better.
    My batophobia was awful, to the point where I would see a picture of a tall building or high ceiling, and I would hyperventilate.
    I am just back from Rome, Italy and it definitely made a slight change. We went to the Vatican and decided to climb the dome of St.Pauls. I wasn't planning on going into the church at all, but when you get down, there is no way out but to walk through a bit of the church. I had a slight panic attack when I found this out, and my mum told me just to look down, but that doesn't work for me as I still know it's there. When I eventually stepped into the church, I looked up and panicked. After about 10 seconds though, I was surprised at how 'okay' it seemed. I walked out, proud of myself. This was a small step in the right direction, and I managed to go into the Pantheon too.
    I still suffer a bit from batophobia, but my advice to you is to force yourself into these situations. It sounds scary but it is the easiest way to ease your fear
    Hope I helped a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond of Neptune View Post
    i know this is an old thread, but someone referred me to it.

I've had this phobia for as long as i can remember. and while for most people, it seems its a fears of only high ceilings, mine is also a fear of the sky. If i look up at the sky, i feel as though i'm going to .."fly off into space." I know it sounds ridiculous, but its what it feels like. and when i look up at the high ceilings, i feel disoriented, and i feel as though i'm going to just fly off into something, or fall.

I'm with you guys! I'm so glad i'm not alone in this
    Hey Diamond of Neptune, this is exactly what I go through. Such a phobia is so hard to explain to others without feeling stupid. I'm glad im not alone, yet I don't wish this feeling to anyone!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information