Thread: Hair loss anyone?

Hair loss anyone?

Apologies if this has already been covered but is anyone else suffering from hair loss? I've noticed a few bald patches at the back of my head and wondered if it might be due to the Fluoxetine? I'm only 37 and haven't done anything too harsh to my hair-no hair extensions or peroxide. I might have to buy some hats!

Re: Hair loss anyone?

I've had it for about a year now, I read a lot about it when it first started to happen.

If it is quite sudden it can be stress that causes it, I'm pretty sure some people here said they had it for about 6 months and then it just came back.

Fluoxetine is known to cause some hair loss problems though so you may well be right.

I still don't know what's up with mine, suspect some kind of hormonal imbalance and going to look into getting my pill changed. The hair comes and goes but definitely have some kind of longer term loss around the hair line. It really upset me and hurt my confidence for a while (I think I've lost a good 50% it used to be so thick!), but understanding the anxiety probably wasn't helping I tried to let it go and concentrate on getting health better.

Anyway here's to hair health, I hope yours is super temporary and you get it back soon! (it may itch something awful though when it does, just so you know lol)

Hi

Yes, fluoxetine can cause hair loss (it is one of the side effects on the patient leaflet). I used to have really thick hair and as I increased fluoxetine my hair started thinning considerably. As I started off with so much hair to begin with I do not have bald patches, but my hair is silky and I have very little grey (most of it having fallen out). I think maybe it inhibits new hair growth which would explain why no new grey has arisen (but my hair is thinner).

Ahh thank you. I'll be happy with no new greys coming through

Thread Information