Thread: How long can an IBS flare up last - very worried

How long can an IBS flare up last - very worried

I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago and have only had a mild flare up occasionally which lasts maybe a day. This time it has been going on continuously for about 8 weeks. I have a feeling of tightness in my left side and mixed bowel habits. Went to the doctors who gave me some meds a couple of weeks ago and said to wait for another couple of weeks and then come back if it hadn't gone away.

Can anyone who suffers from IBS advise if it is normal for a flare up to last so long? I am really worried now and suffer from health anxiety anyway so this is probably having an effect too.

Any advice to ease my anxiety would really be appreicated.

Many thanks

BJ

Re: How long can an IBS flare up last - very worried

I've had periods of time where IBS symtoms lasted for several months. However, this may also have been because I was eating a lot of bad foods, caffeinated drinks and beer. Sometimes things like caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods can irritate the GI Tract - its worth limited them or giving them up and seeing if it helps a bit.

I understand your worry. Have you looked at what you could be eating lately? It could have a trigger and maybe the amount of water you are drinking.

Another thing is check your stool for any blood or even ask th doctor for a sample pack to get it tested for any blood as that can be a sign where they will find anything serious. Another thing it could be is probably diverticulitis as this can usually cause really bad pain, but that can mostly be treated with a large amount of antibiotics and if it is that you will notice an improvement in the first week of taking them.

I hope you get to what is causing the pain. Remember the doctors will help make sure you arent going through anything that is serious, based on their judgements they are trained enough to know what they are doing. Sometimes I have found my doctor to be very brief with my check ups but in the long run I always know that what they said was right.

Thank you for your response. I am going to see the gastroenterologist soon so hopefully that will put my mind at rest.

Hey Bluejeans how did your appt go?
    I was just thinking reading your post again you could have something my mum had which is an infection in the intestines which causes alot of pain. She was on two weeks of antibiotics and seemed to have come right from them.

If you are still getting the pain and doctors didnt pick up anything maybe go back and mention diverticulitis to them. I hope you are feeling better.

Thread Information