Thread: Time for a change

Time for a change

Lookign for some advice...help...anything!
    Im a young mum and live with my partner. I stopped (stupidly) taking my citalopram a few months ago and thought everything was going just lovely until this afternoon when out of the blue (not really should have seen it coming!) had one of the worst panic attacks ive ever had and havent been able to calm since. Same old story for me of a slight change in my routine and I cant cope, was asked out for dinner with family at short notice so decided to go, made it through lunch happy enough but afterwards in the car ended up unable to breathe i got so worked up and almost passing out, begging my partner to pull over and being told id have to wait till we got home and "its all in your head" (which doesnt help matters mid panic attack) then having a huge row when we got home cause i had been snappy. really couldnt control it and sort myself out and have never really felt that bad before and cant cope with the worry now that it could happen to me when im driving or when im alone with my baby. Spent the evening on the sofa cuddled up with doggy trying to focus on breathing to have a hope of ever going to sleep!
    dont know wether i should go back to drs as the tablets never completely got rid of them and wether there is any medicine that can completely help or wether to try to deal with it on my own.
    absolutely dreading going on holiday in a few weeks as feel like im going to be so far away from my mum and dont know what will happen if i get bad there.
    any advice, help, or general pointing in the right direction welcome as everyone on here sounds so much more in control than i feel right now!!!

Re: Time for a change

Hi and welcome

Can I ask what, if any, therapy you have tried or being offered?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Have spoken to counsellors and tried hypnotherapy but when things got really bad last year I went on citalopram and just been on that since, not really tried anything else but think now its time to start trying!
    The hypnotherapy helped at the time but think it was just as I had a chance to talk and relax for a set period of time rather than anything else.

You could ask the doc to refer you to CBT - that could really help.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I found hypnotherapy and mindfullness very helpful x

http://beginnersbeauty.com/
    My Blog =)

>>> UPDATED!!!!! www.anxietyforteens.weebly.com<<<

Recovered from Panic attacks , now recovering from Anxiety - nearly there!

maybe you should consult your doctor for a new treatment... never forget, of course, that medication only helps to ease the panic so you'll be able to think your problems through!! the meds are not a solution on their own!!!

all I have to say as an advice is, go on with your holiday plans... have fun, let your mind fly away from your troubles... and deal with them once you come back. from personal experience, I've never had a severe panic attack while on holidays (even if that was what I dreaded the most!).... so don't be afraid of some vacation, it always helps to calm you down!! take your hubby and baby and make the best out of those few days

Thread Information