Thread: Bit depressed about future and career. Could use some helpful advice?

Bit depressed about future and career. Could use some helpful advice?

So yeah, I'm just a bit depressed and down at the moment about my future and career plans. Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly worried about it, but it's something that's on my mind nearly everyday at the moment. I just want to be successful and land a good career, but right now I'm not sure what to do.

I have been looking into going back to education, but I'm 24 years old and I feel that if I do a year at college, then another 3 years at Uni, I'll be late 20's, which sucks. I have thought about Physiotherapy as a career option, but I've heard it's really competitive to get into. And this worries me, as I'm not the most academic person around. I have struggled on/off with education since my high school years, so it's quite frustrating to look back and realise you could of been somewhere now.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Re: Bit depressed about future and career. Could use some helpful advice?

Hi Mark,

it's never too late to change direction. I went back to college in my 40's and then on to uni. It was the best experience ever.

Physiotherapy is competitive, it's true, doesn't mean that you wouldn't be one of the successful ones though.

Have you looked at Access courses as an alternative to A levels for uni entrance? I did one in science and maths but there are health related ones too. Lots of people of all ages too and all kinds of background, I so enjoyed it.

Unis like people with a bit of life experience too.

Good luck.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

You can always approach your local hospital if you're interested in a career to spend some time with a health professional and get an idea of the job. They're usually happy to help.
    Last edited by Lilac58; 19-08-12 at 16:46. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac58 View Post
    Hi Mark,

it's never too late to change direction. I went back to college in my 40's and then on to uni. It was the best experience ever.

Physiotherapy is competitive, it's true, doesn't mean that you wouldn't be one of the successful ones though.

Have you looked at Access courses as an alternative to A levels for uni entrance? I did one in science and maths but there are health related ones too. Lots of people of all ages too and all kinds of background, I so enjoyed it.

Unis like people with a bit of life experience too.

Good luck.
    Thanks, yeah I have looked into the Access course. I don't know, I've just never been one of the academic types. I think I'm dyslexic, as I'm not a fast learner when it comes to academics and studying. And maths is my biggest weakness. Out of all the careers out there, I prefer the ones with science, even though I'm terrible at maths....typical eh? lol

I think the college does an access to health studies course, which is aimed at nurses/midwives, and other allied health professions, which would probably include Physiotherapy too. I just don't know what to do right now, but I need to decided ASAP really.

What did you study? and How was going back to Uni at more mature age?

Are you thinking of starting this September? I think I went for the access course pretty much at the last minute.

I did a year of therapeutic radiography and decided that it wasn't for me and switched to biomedical science and did my degree in that.

There were lots of different kinds of people and all different abilities on the access course and we were lucky to have good tutors who got everyone through. I don't think you would have a problem. I had no confidence before that in my abilities and it made a real difference to me.

Quite a few people had different issues and there are extended exam times and all sorts of help, they are very used to it and I would say that there is a lot in place to accommodate everybody's needs.

Are you thinking of starting this September? I think I went for the access course pretty much at the last minute.

I did a year of therapeutic radiography and decided that it wasn't for me and switched to biomedical science and did my degree in that.

There were lots of different kinds of people and all different abilities on the access course and we were lucky to have good tutors who got everyone through. I don't think you would have a problem. I had no confidence before that in my abilities and it made a real difference to me.

Quite a few people had different issues and there are extended exam times and all sorts of help, they are very used to it and I would say that there is a lot in place to accommodate everybody's needs.
    Hi, Lilac. Umm, yeah I would like to start this September. Did you have to do an interview for the access course? Or any type of tests? It says on the college website that I may have to undertake a written test, so was just curious as to what you did.

Hi Mark, how are you doing?

No I didn't have to take any kind of test to get on the access course. Maybe for people whose first language is not English? I just phoned up and there was a meeting before the course started but everyone was welcome to start.

We didn't have to have any prior knowledge and I hadn't liked science at school at all, though I love it now. I had been out of education for a long time and it was no problem, I didn't feel at a disadvantage in the classes as they started right at the beginning.

There was a wide range of people, trying to improve on A level results, going back to a career after a family or just wanting to change direction.

Good luck

Mark,

You posted a similar question before and got some very helpful responses but you didn't reply:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114450

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Mark, how are you doing?

No I didn't have to take any kind of test to get on the access course. Maybe for people whose first language is not English? I just phoned up and there was a meeting before the course started but everyone was welcome to start.

We didn't have to have any prior knowledge and I hadn't liked science at school at all, though I love it now. I had been out of education for a long time and it was no problem, I didn't feel at a disadvantage in the classes as they started right at the beginning.

There was a wide range of people, trying to improve on A level results, going back to a career after a family or just wanting to change direction.

Good luck
    Hi, Lilac. Hope you are having a good day. I just had a couple more questions to ask about the course you did.

How intense was the course? Because I heard access courses are 1 year intensive.

And, how tough is the mathematics parts of the course? As I mentioned before, I'm not that great at maths so I was a little concerned. I just don't want to fail because of the maths. And would there be plenty help available for me?

Hope you're having a great day, and appreciate all the advice!

Hi Mark,

sorry for the delay getting back to you, it was my daughter's wedding this last weekend, so very busy. It was wonderful and I enjoyed it so much, just shows how far I have come. Thank you citalopram and quetiapine

About the Access course, yes I suppose it was intensive, although at the time it didn't feel that way partly because the teaching was so good and because also I was excited by the subject matter. I did learn such a lot in that year, all new to me, but it was fun and that helped a lot.

The maths, in the course I did (in Chichester), we had maths once a week only and in fact although we had an exam, the result of that was not counted, only the biology and chemistry marks. But they seem to vary a lot in how access courses are constructed and marked. It was supposed to be equivalent to A level maths but I doubt we covered all that syllabus. I didn't feel out of my depth, although some had come straight from school and GCSE maths, but the teaching just covered what we needed to know and actually wasn't so many different topics.

You will be fine if you decide to go for it. Honestly. I had such a great time on the access course and I had been out of education for so long. I don't think you would regret it.

One option, if you wanted to do a particular degree course is to see if you could apply for an extended degree if they do that. On the access course that I did, a number of people were doing that for the local universities, same course for their year 0 and you get student loans etc as you would for the rest of the degree.

Good luck,

Hi Mark,

sorry for the delay getting back to you, it was my daughter's wedding this last weekend, so very busy. It was wonderful and I enjoyed it so much, just shows how far I have come. Thank you citalopram and quetiapine

About the Access course, yes I suppose it was intensive, although at the time it didn't feel that way partly because the teaching was so good and because also I was excited by the subject matter. I did learn such a lot in that year, all new to me, but it was fun and that helped a lot.

The maths, in the course I did (in Chichester), we had maths once a week only and in fact although we had an exam, the result of that was not counted, only the biology and chemistry marks. But they seem to vary a lot in how access courses are constructed and marked. It was supposed to be equivalent to A level maths but I doubt we covered all that syllabus. I didn't feel out of my depth, although some had come straight from school and GCSE maths, but the teaching just covered what we needed to know and actually wasn't so many different topics.

You will be fine if you decide to go for it. Honestly. I had such a great time on the access course and I had been out of education for so long. I don't think you would regret it.

One option, if you wanted to do a particular degree course is to see if you could apply for an extended degree if they do that. On the access course that I did, a number of people were doing that for the local universities, same course for their year 0 and you get student loans etc as you would for the rest of the degree.

Good luck,
    Oh great. Did she have a good day? And that's really good for you. Do you mind me asking what health problems you have? Is it anxiety?

Yeah, the only issue I seem to worry about is the maths. I have never been very good at maths, even in secondary school. I never seemed to get my head around some of the maths. I did my level 2 in Numeracy last year and it helped me to improve somewhat, but I still struggle in certain areas.

I think that is what holds me back, as I'm lacking confidence in my ability to conquer maths. And when you lack confidence in things (for me anyway), you start to constantly fear them. I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I may suffer from dyslexia. It just takes me longer than others to get the hang of certain things, especially maths!

Anyway, I phoned the college yesterday and they told me that they had very few places left, and that it was first come, first serve basis. But the other issue is, I would need to pay £1500 for the course as I already studied at college a few years ago. And now I need to decide whether to wait until next year, save up, and do the course then. Still not sure how they can charge £1500 for an access course though......Rip off eh? lol.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your advice. I really appreciate that you're taking your time out to help me out, when you could be doing other more important stuff. Take care, speak soon.

Thread Information