Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin long-term tolerance

Pregabalin long-term tolerance

I am taking 150mg/day Pregabalin, prescribed by my psychiatrist for severe anxiety. Pregabalin has been a miracle for me, and has saved my marriage. I am just slightly worried about - do you develop a tolerance to Pregabalin through long term use? There are conflicting user reports on the web through a google search. I know officially (well, according to Wikipedia) Pregabalin is not addictive and not something that you gain tolerance to, but what are your experiences?

I have only been taking Pregabalin for a few weeks and so far, I have gained tolerance to most of the side effects, but it is still working really well for my anxiety. I just hope that I do not gain tolerance to the anti-anxiety effect.

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Pregabalin long-term tolerance

I take Pregabalin and have done so for about 2 months. It has helped reduce the amount of panic attacks that I have and their severity.

If it works, that is all that matters, don't worry about anything else!!!!!!!

BobbyDog

Hi On Fire,

I have been taking pregabalin for about two years. In the first few weeks I developed some some tolerance to its effects, but that soon evened out, and I have been on a steady dose since then. Its anti-anxiety effects have stayed the same over two years, while the side effects like lack of coordination have decreased.

Don't worry if your initial dose increases over the first few weeks - you should soon find the level that is right for you.

Hello on fire,

I too have been taking it for just over 2 years now....couldnt believe it is that long when I actually looked back at an old thread I posted.

It has turned my life around and I do not suffer the awful anxiety that I used to all those years before!!

I only take a low dose 50mg at night and 50mg in the morning but still after all this time it works as well as it did at the beginning!!

I'm glad its helping you...and long may it continue...dont think about it not working just draw from the positives.

Good luck!!

Jo.x

Thank you for the replies. This is reassuring.

I have been told by my psychiatrist that Pregabalin can be "psychologically addictive", particularly at higher dosages, and that is why they sometimes take people off it.

Can you ask your psychiatrist for published evidence of these claims of addiction at higher doses? Every journal study that I have seen indicates that there is no evidence of addiction at any dose.

Pregabalin is a schedule 5 drug in the US, which makes it about as addictive as a cup of coffee every day. Even that was probably decided back when they thought that pregabalin acted in a similar way to benzodiazepines and GABA. Since then, it's been demonstrated to have a completely different action.
    Last edited by hanshan; 31-08-12 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Can you ask your psychiatrist for published evidence of these claims of addiction at higher doses? Every journal study that I have seen indicates that there is no evidence of addiction at any dose.

Pregabalin is a schedule 5 drug in the US, which makes it about as addictive as a cup of coffee every day. Even that was probably decided back when they thought that pregabalin acted in a similar way to benzodiazepines and GABA. Since then, it's been demonstrated to have a completely different action.
    Thanks hanshan. I will ask him on Thursday, when I see him next.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post

I agree with this my psychiatrist and his head doctor told me non addictive, But then again they do say anything can be addictive.

I have been on Pregabalin for over 6 months now (it has been a battle getting a script at times but all sorted now) and they work a treat for me.
    Last edited by xtremx; 05-09-12 at 17:45. Reason: Crap Grammer LOL

Been on Lyrica for a little over a week. Was very light-headded and unsteady at first with only 50mg. Heard so many things bad and am so glad that there are some success stories. This is the end of the line for me as far as pain control. I have a rare, genetic liver disease and spine issues since 1982. I have been in pain most of my life but still lived an active life, which lately has been slowed down considerably as thing have deteriorated to a point where there is nothing they can do. I also am limited to what I can use for pain because of the liver situation, so I was glad to hear it is quickly metabolized and excreted by the kidneys. I am taking 50mg-3xday, but already think it is not enough. I'm thinking that if it is metabolized in a little over 6hrs, I should be taking it every 6 hrs. It seems to be like a light switch, all of a sudden the pain breaks thru just before next dose. I will speak to my pain mgnt doc. But it has been amazing in making my pain manageable. My entire spine is in very bad shape. Thank GOD I can still walk. My only other concern is that I am in stage 3 chronic kidney disease (no dialysis) and do not want to make that situation worse. If there is anyone with chronic kidney disease taking Lyrica, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks everyone- Audjc:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information