Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Videogames

Hi Kroko,

I can understand completely what you are feeling. I have had both an epileptic seizure and a panic attack. I had my epileptic seizure almost 3 years ago now. At the time, I had no idea what was happening. I felt my head closing down and then suddenly I was unconscious and shaking. When I had my first panic attack, it was a very similar feeling and I thought I was having another seizure. I had lots of tests done (an MRI and an ECG) and was told that I wasn't epileptic.
    You said that sometimes you feel like an epileptic seizure is about to happen. From my experience, that isn't the way epileptic seizures work. An epileptic seizure either happens or it doesn't - it doesn't start and then stop. There is no way you can control it. When you have a panic attack, you can feel it building up inside you and there are ways of stopping it like with breathing exercises and relaxation techniques.
    My panic attacks started because of my fear of having an epileptic seizure. I am slowly realising that just because I had one 3 years ago, that doesn't mean that I will have another one. Lots of people have one at some point in their lives for no reason. However, if you have never had one, chances are that you won't...and like I said before, that feeling that you get when playing videogames is more likely to be you panicking, not you feeling an epileptic seizure coming on. If it were a seizure coming on, you would have had one.
    I hope what I have said has reassured you a little.
    Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

Yes, Sarah, that was a reassuring message, thanks for that.

There are many people who have unfortunately been diagnosed epileptic when it transpires that it was a one off fit and not the condition of epilepsy at all.

EEG's are good at showing permenent damage or unhealthy traces but that itself is not enough for a diagnosis.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information