Thread: Hyper aware of breathing :-(

Hyper aware of breathing :-(

Really is taking over my life this. I'm so aware of my breathing. When I'm aware I feel like I'm telling myself to breath which then makes ur breathing funny. I hate it. One of the things I can't get under control. I hate it :-(

Re: Hyper aware of breathing :-(

Does anybody have this? Xx

Hi yes, I get it... used to get it really bad where i thought i was gonna stop breathing, and got pins and needles in my hands and face etc. Haven't had it that bad for a while now though its so scary when it happens. Do you get it like that any of those symptoms?

It will get better with time even though you may not think it right now.

I had this for four months..breathing is something you shouldn't have to think about but I know what you mean. I was paranoid that I was going to stop breathing but it was all in my head - nothing wrong with my lungs at all - had lots of tests. With anxiety, you tend to focus on a part of your body and analyse it way too much. The way you should think about it is that when you're asleep - you breathe normally because your nervous system controls it - also when you're awake, if you are busy with something you won't think about your breathing and it works perfectly. I stopped thinking about my breathing (I know it's hard) and my anxiety about breathing went away. Try to relax - breathe using your belly, not your chest and try breathing through your nose only as much as you can - and keep your mind on other things.. good luck.

It all started 1 sunday afternoon when I was 16. I was just sitting there watching tv and all of a sudden it felt like my entire body went numb I pinched myself and couldn't even feel it. Then I lept up and screamed and started having a panic attack. Had to have a dr called out... and he reassured me that it was a panic attack got me to breathe into a paper bag... This went on or what seemed like an eternity. Thought I was dying my hands would clench up uncontrollably because of the lack of oxygen and pins and needles everywhere. I was terrified. Saw phychatrists that didn't really help much... Had a brain scan and neck xray saw a neurologist. Results came back all clear.

I've still no idea why it happened. It's now 17 years later and I'm still here .

I do get days where I worry a lot about health related issues. But no panic thank god. But still aware of breathing at times. I am not as bad when I'm at work as it takes my mind off myself.

Aww thankyou both for the replys :-) xx

Hi there the exact same thing has happened to me it hit me one evening and
    That was about 7 weeks ago now it’s horrendous I really would like to know how you are getting on with this and if you’ve had any success. Please help. Thanks

Thread Information