Thread: Side effects starting 3 weeks in!?

Side effects starting 3 weeks in!?

Hi everyone

Started Fluoxetine 20mg 3 weeks ago y'day after changing from 4 months on Nortriptyline (caused massive weight gain) Taking for panic & anxiety.
    No panic attacks & only a little anxiety since end January.

Have been feeling fine other than a little upset tummy at first.

Woke up at about 3am had a big panic attack, then one after the other. Finally got some sleep but still feel about to 'go' again. Bad upset tummy too.

I'm so gutted as I would've thought after 3 weeks in I wouldn't suddenly start getting worse again... It can't be side effects surely? Do you think they've just kicked in & obviously not agreeing with me?

I am going to see GP in a min, but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for reading

Re: Side effects starting 3 weeks in!?

In my experience things definitely did get worse before they got better. I was/am being treated with 20mg Fluoxetine for depression/anxiety. I'm now on week 13. From weeks 2 to 4 even into week 5, I had significantly increased levels of agitation and anxiety. It was utterly horrible. But, I stuck at it and I can honestly say that its the best decision I've ever made. By week 6 I was beginning to feel better. By week 8 it was like I was back to my old self. I still feel great and all feelings of depression are gone. I like to come on here periodically and give some messages of hope to people because I know how worried I was when I started taking ADs and it really reassured me when I heard that they can work. I don't know if Prozac is for everyone, but it certainly worked for me. If I were you I would definitely consider trying to get through this rough patch and sticking it out until weeks 6, 7, 8. The results can be amazing.

I'd agree with ex-person. I experienced some side effects in the first few weeks of fluoxetine, though week 5 was by far the worst - couldn't sit still, felt so agitated and hopeless about everything. A week after that things were a lot better.

This is my third time on fluoxetine - the previous two times I had no discernable side effects on the same dose, but this time I did. I guess I was feeling more agitated prior to starting it this time around.

I've still had a few ups and downs (been taking it for around 8 weeks) but the intrusive thoughts (pure 'o' related) are 90% reduced, even on 20mg. I have felt a bit more depressed/anxious however, and find that I cannot sit still, but these side effects are a small price to pay as I now feel like I'm in control of myself a bit more than I was.

Thankyou both so much. Was just surprised that it's 3 weeks in and I've suddenly developed the dreaded side effects that so many ppl talk about & there I was being so cocky thinking I was fine!
    I'm STILL in waiting room at Doc's, hoping he'll give me some diazepam to see me through. I had about a weeks worth back in January & they helped me get a grip on things. I had a half left in my purse which I've been carrying around for the last few months & I had to take it last night.
    I am so phobic of taking pills but was in such a constant panic in Jan I eventually felt I had to give in. So I'm gonna be brave and stick with now I've read what you've said, was just worried at the timing.
    Thanks again

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

So Doc wouldn't give me any Diazepam to see me through...Grrrr. He has instead said I should increase to 40mg.
    Thoughts?

Hi Saffy,
    I've been on Prozac on and off for 9 years and find a lower dose works better than a higher dose for me. At a particularly bad time earlier this year I didn't know what to do with my self, I had taken 20mg Prozac daily for a month with no improvement so with the agreement of my doc increased it to 40mg daily. I stuck with that for a further month but it didn't help, my anxiety was worse than before medication. I reduced back to 20mg daily and felt better within 48 hours and since then I have reduced my Prozac dose even further and although I am still not 100% I am much better.
    We are all different but I found 40mg increased my anxiety, maybe it would work for depression at that dose but if you're already getting anxiety it could make it worse.
    Only my experience but hope this helps
    Sam

Thanks for that.
    Yep I am a bit reluctant to increase as i'm not depressed, its just the anxiety. I'm thinking I'll prob stick with the 20mg for at least another couple of weeks, suppose it depends how bad I feel.
    I can always go back to Nortriptilyne as they were fine for me except the weight gain. But have to give these a go first, but VERY hard when having panic attacks isn't it?

Hi, Hope your feeling better today I mistakenly boasted that I was 3 weeks in with no side effects and it was not but 2 days later I was hit with a ton of them! Now at 6 1/2 weeks and things are settling down somewhat. I am in the same boat as you, Doc is giving me the go to go to 40 today and I am reluctant since I don't want the side effects to start all over again! I'm not depressed either, just a nervous wreck 90% of the time
    I was on 60 mg when I was 15 years old and looking back I have no idea how I managed that. Probably because I didn't know anything about side effects so I never looked for them...

Words of experson are spot on.I am now 4 weeks in and feel some improvement but a bit to go.First weeks were just hellish so that seems to be the way of....remember our initial feeling were not that hot either. Stick it out...reading on this site has helped me quite a bit .

So...update. Thanks for the replies
    I gave it till gone 6 weeks but they were gradually making me feel worse unfortunately. No more panic attacks but constantly 'jittery' and nervous about going out 'in case'.
    I was SO tired, and having a restless sleep. Waking up with an anxious tummy every morning too. Such a shame as I know they work so well for many of you and I'm glad I tried them as it wasn't too bad but was just not helping my anxiety. Spoke to Doc and was told to stop, give it 5 days then start back on Nortriptyline. I was fine, no side effects just 1 day felt more anxious but other than that I must say I have felt much better, even to the point of wondering whether to start on the Nortriptyline again but I'm not 100% (well don't think I ever will be!) but I started last night.
    Just got to keep an eye on the increased appetite this time and sweet cravings!
    Just want to say though that I was always SO scared of taking any meds but it's always worse thinking about it and it was OK, I didn't actually have any side effects as such it's just I don't think Fluoxetine is the one for me.

Thread Information