Thread: depression and SSRIs

depression and SSRIs

I've been going through a phase of depression lately ... due to grief, trauma, etc etc. My therapist asked me to keep the idea of SSRIs in the back of my mind just to get over "hump" so to speak to retrain my brain to fire chemicals correctly. She said if I did, it would be low-dose and short-term ... but I am terrified of SSRIs (or any psychotropic med) and the side effects, as I said to her. She said bc it is definitely because of situations I have gone through and a logical progression of grief, she doesn't think it is something I have to do but just to keep in mind as an option.

Anybody use them short term - though her definition of short term was 6 months, which seemed more long term to me and like I'd have trouble getting off them. The only side effects she mentioned for a low dose would be low sex drive. She mentioned paxil as an option.

Please if you have any advice, experience with somethign similar, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Re: depression and SSRIs

bump?

Hmmm - I'm surprised Paxil (paroxetine) was mentioned. Its one of the worst SSRIs for coming off apparently. I'm not too knowledgeable about the other ones although I'm currently taking fluoxetine (prozac). I don't know if it's the right one for you but its supposedly one of the better SSRI's to come off as it has such a long half-life.

It certainly helped my OCD, anxiety and depression even on a 20mg dose (some people can cope on smaller doses still - 5mg or even less) although it does make me bit more restless than I was before.

thanks for your input, i appreciate it My doctor ended up prescribing me escitalopram, I just took my second pill (10 mg per day). Just experiencing a bit of a headache, but I have heard thats common.

Good luck!

Thread Information