Thread: Sore scalp and sinuses again

Jem27 Guest

Sore scalp and sinuses again

Hi,

I suffer from health anxiety, I posted about my sore scalp only last week but im really worrying again so any reassurance appreciated.

I always suffer from sinus probs esp in this heat, its been 3 weeks now and ive had a feeling of swelling under right eye/cheek (my face looks fine though) dry snotty nostril on right, fullness in right ear etc... Dr has told me in the past its inflammation and not infection and given me a spray which I take daily.

I wake every morning with it at the moment but ive also been getting a sore scalp when brushing, doesn't hurt unless its brushed but its very sore, not like its ontop of the scalp like its from underneath, if you get me anyway im really getting myself in a pickle worrying is it infected sinuses and then it will lead to meningitis (ive read far too much on nhs direct in the past) or is it something like a tumour or something else nasty.

My dr a few weeks ago called the soreness on my scalp a 'red herring' and not to worry but its been more sore ever since.

I am so silly, always think when my sinuses play up that its going to turn into meningitis if left but the drs never give me anti bs as they always say if it were an infection id be very ill and have a temp which im not.

Any advice appreciated.

Jem

Hi Jem,

Poor you. I suffer from sinusitis too. I've also got allergic rhinitis which is equally unpleasant! lol! The symptoms you describe are very similar to the ones i get.

There are an incredible number of nerves in the face and scalp and it is very easy to get referred pain..i wonder if this was the "red herring" your doctor mentioned. That is, the nerves are being triggered around your sinuses but are also triggering pain messages in your scalp, making this area feel sore too. I got referred pain all over my head and even into my jaw and teeth and i also feared a tumour was lurking! I am sure there would be other symptoms though if this were the case and your doctor wouln't mess about unless he was sure.

It is true that antibiotics won't help unless there is an infection, which you would have fever and other symptoms with. The nasal spray is probly anti-histamine or steroidal and is used to tackle the inflamation.

I find that simple steam inhalation is one of the best treatments for this...it helps me instantly...a facial sauna is especially good. But you must use it daily for several days to get protracted benefit.

Hope this helps! Take care,

CW

"Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we could learn to dance on a moving carpet." - Anon

Jem27 Guest
    Thanks CW:-)

I have feared tumours in the past and after seeing my auntie who had one last year and survived I think id deffinatly k now if I had one, she had awful headaches and her face was disfigured. My also has told me my bp is fine, face and eyes look fine so it isnt anything more.

I just always worry because I suffer like this on a daily basis that one day if it is chronic sinusitis that I might end up with meningitis and thats one of my biggest fears for some reason.

I have a spray called Rhinolast, anti histamine, doesn't do much really. Dr says it could be the time of year, climate we live in he said, hmm.

Thanks

Ju x

Hi Jem, I get sore scalp sometimes it is something that can be caused by stress.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Jem27 Guest
    Awwww ty Daisy, its loads better today now ive relaxed:-)

Ju xxxx

Thread Information