Thread: Went to docs ... does this sound normal?

Went to docs ... does this sound normal?

I went to my doctor regarding my depression and anxiety. I was prescribed lexapro 10 mg. My doctor wants me to come back in a month to see how it's going, but also wants me to do a physical then because I guess I am due for one. I got all nervous because she wants me to do blood work prior. Is that routine for a physical? I'm 24.

She also wants to test my thyroid because thyroid problems are in my family history and I guess it can make depression and anxiety worse if it's hypo or hyper. That I understand.

She requested the following labs: Comprehensive Metabolic panel, lipid panel, T3 free, T4 free, TSH high sensitivity, vitamin B12, Vitamin D, 25-hydroxy, CBC with diff.

It all says for routine adult examination but I have never had that many done before and I'm nervous about it! Should I be? Or is it just what they test for?

Re: Went to docs ... does this sound normal?

I'm thinking it's just a more thorough physical - not because she sees anything wrong, but more a matter of "since you're there, let's check these out too..."

and my doctor's have always asked for the blood work prior to the physical, just to save steps. By having the results in hand when I see them for my physical, we don't need to go through the bother of setting up an appointment afterwards just to get the results. Kind of like one-stop shopping.

To me, it all sounds normal.

I'd say it's normal. They like to be thorough.

Thanks, I have just never heard of some of those things. She said she was testing for anemia, kidney, liver, cholesterol, etc. to get a good picture of my health? Only knew the thyroid one because I have a family history and anxiety/depression can be a symptom.

It is definitely to get a good picture of your health.
    I truly think your doctor decided to do these extra tests because she knows you suffer from anxiety, so if you get everything tested, you have NOTHING to worry about.
    I had bloodwork done about a day ago, and since my doctor knew I had SEVERE heath anxiety, he took it upon himself to make sure everything was tested and out of the way.

I know that a lack of vitamin b12 and d can cause depression too so she is just checking those areas for that reason.

Thread Information