Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALS/MS? Or all in my head?

ALS/MS? Or all in my head?

My left leg 'feels' weaker every day, I'm constantly doing strength tests such as standing on tiptoes etc. When I say feel I mean it literally aches with a weak feeling rather than being totally weak. I had a tremor all over body but now seems to just be located in left leg and arms, I had twitches all over that are now just in my left leg, aswell as a achy weak sensation in it. I'm having trouble swallowing and maintaining a sentence without getting the words wrong or slurring. I'm 23 and worried!

I have a history of health anxiety, so don't know if im having these symptoms because I googled them but they are very real. It all started 5 months ago with dizziness and gerd and seems to have progressed worse!

Re: ALS/MS? Or all in my head?

Hey i also worry i have ms i have dizzyness off balance n tingling n numbness in my face and limbs my mother already has ms so weather i bring on the symptoms i duno but ive been the docs n there sendin me to see a neurologist. im sure ur symptoms are just anxiety but if it helps put ur mind at rest why dont u go talk to ur gp? xx

I have, I went again today they think it's anxiety, I have to go see the neurologist soon but they are pretty sure it's anxiety as I have passed all his tests in his office. Still dOnt feel right though, he has prescribed 80mg beta blockers

The beta blockers will prevent palpitations in the event of a panic attack. Jelly legs or even just one leg is a classic anxiety symptom. Calf twitching is also common in anxiety state.

For what it is worth, there is a retired neurologist that occasionally posts on this board who has written so very long and valuable posts regarding ALS and MS and how it differs from what most of us go through. His user name is RLR. You can veiw all posts by him and see what he has to say. I hope you feel better.

Thank you, I think it's in my head as ppl with ms or ALS don't feel the weakness it just kind of happens from what iv read, where as my left leg literally feels weak and kind of like the feeling you get when youve been tickled. If that makes sense.

I get similar sensations, feeling weak and tremors, forgetfulness, etc. I'll have a day or two of clarity, then back to this feeling, so I suppose that can't mean it's any disease as it wouldn't get better and worse all the time! Let us know what the doctor says.

I'm kind of in the same boat...with a weak feeling in my left leg...sometimes slightly numb and also arms get tired easily. I'm fearing ALS/MS also.

As you know ALS is very very rare. Today I found out a article about ALS (http://www.neurology24.com/lou-gehrigs-disease.htm) which does some statistical work:

If the incidence of ALS is 2/100,000, two in every 100,000 people are diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease each year. Comparing this number to the age distribution numbers shortly outlined will tell us that the chance of getting Lou Gehrig's disease any particular year, when you are younger than 38, is about 1:165,000,000. Yes, one in 165 million people a year.

If for young people the chance of getting ALS in a given year is 1:165 million so extremely unlikely. If you do some math the chance of getting ALS between 20 and 40 years is about 1:15 million which is still extremely unlikely.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Also, here it's a blog http://elderfred.wordpress.com/2009/...my-als-journey of someone affected by ALS. As you can see the progress is fast and very noticeable. If you have some kind of neuro symptoms for months or years without deterioration you don't have ALS.

I have most of these symptoms too x

sparkle do you have the symptoms all the time? If yes, for how long?

I have the "weakness" in my left leg for about 3 months and although it changes in intensity it never disappears :(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information