Thread: Diazepam for needle phobia?

Question Diazepam for needle phobia?

I've had a severe phobia of needles since I can remember and have avoided any medical or dental treatments for around 7 years now, however, recently I decided that enough is enough... I went to the dentist, who informed me that I'll need a tooth out and a local anaesthetic will need to be injected - obviously I started panicking at the thought, therefore, it was suggested that I take sedatives before I have the injection.

I've been prescribed 2 x 2mg of Diazepam, although I've been told to only take one of them 30 - 60 minutes before my appointment. Has anyone had any experience of using Diazepam for a needle phobia? I'd just like to know realistically how effective it really is at dealing with the anxiety caused by a phobia and the physical symptoms of a panic attack, so absolutely any information or experiences would be greatly appreciated

Re: Diazepam for needle phobia?

What it will do is calm you do so you aren't as anxious and it is common that doctor's give Diazepam for such procedures.

How you react to it is different with everyone. I used to take 1mg and it calmed me down whereas other people on here have had to take upwards of 5mg for the same effect.

Good luck

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Diazepam for needle phobia?

8Bit, twas 8 years for me for visiting a dentist (and I don't have needle phobia, just bone-deep anx in general), well my GP got me on Prozac about 4 months ago, and within a fortnight I'd booked a dental app because I felt so well. My GP also prescribed Diaz to help combat initial insomnia with the Prozy, so I took one 2mg the night before - which took about a hour to full start to work - I then took another 2mg at 9am, and my dental app was at 10-10am, which I sailed through with no probs. That was just the check up, though! A week later I had a dental app for two fillings, I didn't take the Diaz the night before, but took 2 x 2mg of Diaz at 9am for my 10am app, again, I sailed through the app with no probs, and I have to go back sometime next year. Hope it works for you.

Thread Information