Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Therapist' blamed anxiety on my culture

'Therapist' blamed anxiety on my culture

so fed up and low tonight, not like me. I have been diagnosed as having a social anxiety disorder but with 3 children and a couple of hobbies from home, I dont spend all day feeling low. Tonight is terrible tho. Ive finally been assigned a 'therapist' who comes to my GPs surgery once a week. On the first appointment she said I can cure my disorder by reading a book from the library and said my culture is to blame. I actually wonder why the NHS is wasting money on this woman? Shes from Afghanistan but I would NEVER bring her culture into it out of respect! I asked 'Why doesnt EVERYONE of my culture have my problems then?'. Obviously she couldnt answer that. In case anyones wondering Im Romany gypsy, Im proud of my culture and its damn hard when people get us mixed up with 'travellers' who con people and rip people off etc. But why should I have to justify myself? I do suffer from anxiety and dread taking my daughters to school.....but my sisters and cousins certainly dont have this prob, so I dont think culture is to blame (I told her this). On the 2nd appointment she started by saying 'So we've decided that your culture is to blame for your problems....' I couldnt believe it!!!!!

Re: 'Therapist' blamed anxiety on my culture

so how does she account for those of us who are not Romany Gypsies who have social anxiety? I think maybe you need a change of therapist. You should be proud of your culture. I have taught some lovely Romany Gypsy children, it is NOT your culture that is to blame and I am not sure she should be saying that. If I said anything like that in school I think I would be in trouble!

I should have asked her that Annie, never thought I did think it was rather bizarre, if I brought her culture into it surely she'd be offended as its unnecessary. Thanks Annie.

nothing wrong with a gypsy
    tell her she needs meds the dope
    god bless

hmm if i were you i would report her to your gp surgery because I would actually say that she is discriminating your culture which is wrong - she shouldn't assume that your culture is to blame - if she hasn't asked any other questions about your history, what could have triggered it off or anything then she needs to be fired because that's bad! xx

http://beginnersbeauty.com/
    My Blog =)

>>> UPDATED!!!!! www.anxietyforteens.weebly.com<<<

Recovered from Panic attacks , now recovering from Anxiety - nearly there!

Lol London x
    Littlehelper, I did find it unusual (but then Im no expert) that she hasnt read my medical records or asked anything about previous problems. Ive had depression and panic attacks on and off for 18 years. 18 yrs ago I do remember saying I really wanted to get better so it wouldnt affect any future children I had. I didnt leave the house for 2 yrs when my youngest child was born and went from a size 10 to a 16 - which I hate. My mum has problems too, it sounds bad but Ive distanced myself from her as she refuses to get help and it affects everyone around her, she gets very spiteful and vindictive with it - and Ive got 3 children to think about. We also have people in the close family with anorexia, gambling addictions and OCD. All manage to hold down full time jobs. But no, the woman hasnt asked a thing about my history. Sorry about the rant!

She doesn't seem to know much about depression and anxiety if she blames your culture :/
    I've met a lot of bad therapists, just because they have a qualification doesn't mean they are capable of doing the job.
    Maybe see if she's any better in the next session as everyone has their off days .
    But if you still feel that's she's being unhelpful try and see if you could get a new therpist.

Hmm I wonder if she's highly religious? I know that would make me uncomfortable .

I had one therpist who started talking about angels!
    I have much more belief in science and psycolgy and angels sure aren't going to cure my anxiety!

Discrimination is not allowed in any form, you have the right to report her and request a new therapist if you wish. The first place to start would be directly to your GP surgery. If that doesn't get you anywhere then I would skip PALS and the PCT (bunch of morons) and go straight to your MP.

I agree with everyone else, I would report her for gross misconduct!
    Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How dare she!

BobbyDog

What kind of therapist she is, instead of making you feel alright she just make you feel worst. I suggest you change your therapist, someone who can possibly be a friend too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information