Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Therapist' blamed anxiety on my culture

Re: 'Therapist' blamed anxiety on my culture

rosalena

Regarding the book - when I got serious about getting my OCD under control my therapist suggested I learn as much about OCD as I could and suggested some books that I did read. Maybe that's what your therapist meant.

As far as it being culturally based? That's just such a bizarre comment (this is the 21st century and classifying people based on ethnicity is something that dropped out of popular thinking about 100 years ago or so) that I'd ask her to explain it again.

If the explanation amounts to her saying your anxiety is related to your ethnicity then find a therapist who wants to treat you as an individual not a culture.

Hi there,

I would ignore all the comments this "therapist" has made and, find someone else, if possible. Although, if this is on the NHS, that mighten be easy.

We ALL come from different walks of life and we all have our issues and I fail to see what connection there is with whatever issues you have.

Dont lose faith and I am sure you can improve with the help of this site and many other ways.

Keep smiling and good luck.

As someone said above, this certainly seems a very inappropriate thing to say and might be worth mentioning to the practice manager.

Just going to read your posts now THANKYOU for taking the time to reply. Anxious Girl, that is very interesting you've said that. The lady I see (well Ive only seen her twice) is in 'The order of Baha' whatever that is, but yes its religious. How on earth did you guess? I dont mind peoples religion, each to their own, but I wonder if it does affect how she sees people, thats a thought.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Thanks peeps, I was so fed up I was going to just cancel the whole thing. But now Ive decided to request someone else, no point in giving up and she just carries on with her weird line of thinking without her boss realising anythings wrong. Couldnt do todays appointment as father in law is ill, just got back from seeing him and making sure hes ok. I rang to cancel the app, she called back and asked why I couldnt come. I said sorry its a bit hard to talk at the minute, Im not alone...to which she kept me on the phone another 5 mins lol the freak. Well I hope everyone has a nice weekend, or try your best. Im going to take my girls swimming (eeek! dreading that, but has to be done as they enjoy it, will grit my teeth lol). xx

hit her over the head with 2 ton of lucky heather
    and say yes we are strange people
    that will teach her
    god bless

pmsl okey dokey x

Quote Originally Posted by london View Post
    hit her over the head with 2 ton of lucky heather
    and say yes we are strange people
    that will teach her
    god bless
    I love that idea!

You could also read her palm and tell her that you see your therapy together ending and she is destined for another career!

It's a shame she was so bad, and paid by the NHS as well! Hopefully you'll do better next time.

Tyke

HOW DARE SHE,!

I assume she's a NHS therapist!!!! Complain say she's made your anxiety worse and quote what she said!!! I'd go back before this and I'd seriously lay into her, about this - also!

I am going to say this, I was brought up Catholic but, I've married a Muslim & I presume IF she's from Afganistan she's aware of the media etc? Therefore can you imagine how she'd react if, you brought her culture & because Islam & culture in these areas are very inter-linked!! Can you imagine her reaction.
    I bet you'd be barred, from your local surgery in a flash ~ if you blamed her attitude on her culture or religion.

If you blamed her lack of professionalism on her culture and ignorant attitude, what would she say? Professional OR not, to take such a liberty like she has in this day and age, is simply treading on ~
    'thin ice'!!!!!!!

Discrimination & prejudice or blaming someone's culture/religion or ethnicity for anything,
    is a SERIOUS - NO NO ! With reprocussions! Like getting the sack , hopefully!

Please do not let this go! X
    Last edited by Col; 28-12-12 at 10:51.

I was told I was going to hell by a so-called psychiatrist before - he's Muslim and I'm an Atheist - and he said it because I drink. I do wonder how these people get a job sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    I was told I was going to hell by a so-called psychiatrist before - he's Muslim and I'm an Atheist - and he said it because I drink. I do wonder how these people get a job sometimes.
    Mr X

That's awful, absolutely agree ~ how on earth do these people get these jobs????? that in my opinion require a lot of care, respect & compassion??????? its discusting & twisted this world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information