Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neurological symptoms, had a CT and MRI without contrast, was clear so what is it?

neurological symptoms, had a CT and MRI without contrast, was clear so what is it?

Hello, my name is Patrick Owers.

First of all, let me start by saying sorry if something in my explanation doesn't make sense as this unknown ailment is starting to get to my cognitive thinking quite bad.

Right, about two months ago, I started getting headaches and occasional twitches in my eyes, I went to doctor after doctor and they said that it was just stress and it would pass. a few weeks later, it didn't pass and got alot worse. it started to affect my speech and language skills with pronunciation and speaking large amounts without stuttering or getting lost on what I was saying. or 'tripping up' in mid-sentence. my twitches also started to spread to every part of my body that had a muscle, and then I started getting very bad neck pains and tingling in my legs and arms.

Went to a neurologist who sent me for a CT scan, just to be safe. but he said there was nothing worth getting worried about as he said there was nothing serious that he could see.

Had the CT without contrast done which came back clear.

as the weeks went on, my symptoms started progressing again, I noticed that my ability to read text had now been affected, I would get lost whilst reading sentences or replace words in sentences with completely different words that aren't there. my muscle twitches started getting more violent, I will occasionally jump up in my bed whilst asleep because my whole body will just decide to spasm, like getting a shock. I also started getting visual disturbances, my vision will go blurry occasionally, like the blurriness you get when you have something in your eye, will be relieved by rubbing it but will keep coming back, usually happens in the mornings but can happen during the day. also started seeing black dots and lines in my vision and flashing lights when I'm trying to sleep. I will also have moments where I see little sparkles in my vision and they are getting more frequent.

I also read somewhere that MRI's are the best for diagnostics of brain problems and CT's can miss things like tumours, especially in the brain stem. I panicked, and got a MRI booked privately. I asked for dye to be inserted, but they assured me that if they found anything suspicious, I would retake the test with dye. but alas, it came back clear, but somehow I feel like I've gotten nowhere, as the symptoms are still progressing.

Doctors now think I'm crazy and have referred me to psychology, who is telling me about breathing exercises and ways to stop panic attacks, but what I'm experiencing isn't panic attacks, it's constant! it's affecting my thinking and my daily activities to the point where I can't actually do them. it's impossible! I'm all jittery and jerky all the time now, with my muscles constantly twitching and still getting worse, burning pains in my head and cheeks. I also notice I'm making weird facial movements when I move my face, such as when I speak, my jaw will go up only on one side, leaving my left side to drop and makes my face look weird when I talk. also, whenever I move my muscles or put strain on them, they will go into a twitching fit.

My cognitive skills have gotten to the stage where they are unmanageable. I have difficulty reading things with more than three sentences of text. I will lose track and stop reading because I won't know what I've just read. my speech is terrible, stuttering and saying things that don't make sense. my typing has gotten worse, losing track on what I was typing and forgetting simple words to mention in context with what I'm talking about. my neck feels stiff and is hurting alot. my tingling sensations in my fingers and arms, cold prickly sensations in my elbows, lips, face, ears. also a tingling sensation in my head! it feels very strange! also, my head hurts nearly all the time now and I just can't think of anything, my mind is just fuzzy and achey and it feels like I'm a husk. only being conscious and not having anything else that would make me human. no emotion, no intelligence, nothing, I feel brain-dead.

I know there's something wrong, and I am willing to pay for any more diagnostics to be conducted, so long as they find what's causing this and get it treated so I can get some form of symptom relief and my brain functioning back to the way it was. I am willing to get an EEG and an MRA or MRI Neurography done to find out what's happening, maybe even an EMG. I just need some answers.

I have been on more antidepressants than I can think of, such as citalopram, amitriptyline, Mirtazapine etc all of which have been no help to my symptoms.I figure had it been stress, it should've responded to medication and forms of counselling by now. but it has not had any effect at all! in fact, it's still getting worse!

Any supportive answers or any suggestions on what I should do? anything would help right now. I just want symptom relief, I can't take this anymore

Symptoms are as follows:-

- Muscle jerking and twitching. can be my whole body or just a involuntary jerk of a limb, such as my leg or arm. I have checked what it is and it seems to come under the name myoclonus
    - Cognitive impairment (reading, writing, speech, memory, language, word-finding and understanding of context.)
    - A feeling of not being all there most of the time.
    - weird cold tingling in my elbows and lips and ears.
    - Sharp Headaches that come and go
    - Unsteady gait
    - Muscle cramps

Doctors all say its stress but if it had been then it should have responded to medication by now, or at least helped with the symptoms.

Re: neurological symptoms, had a CT and MRI without contrast, was clear so what is it

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. It's really frustrating when you feel no one is listening, talking or believing you. Do you suffer from migraines?? I suffer these and symptoms such as cognitive, auras and weakness/ jerky movements can be symptomatic of these. You don't always need the pain in the head either, you can have silent migraines. However, all I can offer you is my support and well wishes. As I'm trying to teach myself, the physiological symptoms should ease when the psychological stress calms down. I believe we can in fact make ourselves sick at times. However, in no way does this take away from your need to know about your health. I would get blood works done maybe and try and source some great counselling to help relieve some anxiety and stress as you find your answers. Good luck to you, I'm on my path of discovery too. Take care.

Re: neurological symptoms, had a CT and MRI without contrast, was clear so what is it

Hey thanks for the response.

Yeah, I was hoping the scans would've revealed some answers but it came back clear. which is good, don't get me wrong, clears up all worries about me having cancer, and its good to know I definitely don't have it. but the symptoms are persisting, as well as the muscle jerks (which I've read up on and apparently it's a form of seizure?!) so I was thinking there was a neurological cause for these symptoms, which is why I was considering getting an EEG done. or maybe an MRA or MRI neurography.

I was also considering whether it was related to my Asperger's Syndrome. as alot of the areas of my condition aren't very well-known.

Hi

Have you had blood tests done? as low b12 levels include some symptoms you mentioned (i.e unsteady gait, tingling)

worth ruling out!

http://nothingworks.weebly.com/ < a must read!

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it" Nelson Mandela

"It is far harder to kill a phantom than a reality" Virginia Wolfe

If you are having problems reading and such, have you been tested for things that can cause that?

Before all this started, did you suffer from anxiety?

I do know some things can be harder to diagnoise like ALS n MS but there still are tests you can get .
    Anxiety symptoms can overlap a lot with those.

I would consider getting another opionion.
    I find doctors don't do enough diagnostics, n too easily dismiss everything as anxiety .

I've started taking multivitamins, as I have thought of this possibility. but no, I haven't had those tests done. so I may get an autoimmune blood workup, my vitamin levels and my electrolyte levels checked.

I also think you should have complete blood tests. Your symptoms might be because of some lack of vitamines or minerals.

I also think it is strange that all the doctors say you are stressed but noone refers you to psychotherapy or anything to relieve this stress.

I hope you will feel better soon!!!!

Yeah, once I get back to uni in leeds, gonna go and get all the bloods done, would they be able to detect any problems with the nerves and detect what's causing the twitching?

Hi again, when you get your bloods done I would be asking for a neurology appointment to discuss those symptoms you have. They should help you well. Sometimes all the twitching and jittery feelings are anxiety, that's how mine are. At times throughout the day, I will jitter and shake. Very frightening indeed, and I just try to calm down and distract myself. Hope that kinda helps you, best wishes

Doctors keep telling me to ignore the symptoms, but I just can't. my twitching has progressed from minor twitches in the eye, to entire jerks and violent jumps of my limbs and body. my cognitive thinking and general intelligence is getting slower and dimmer. I keep getting ringing ears, blurred vision and a sharp thumping headache. I get a burning sensation in my face every time I use my facial muscles. and my face will go into a twitch fit every time I smile. my taste and sense of smell has been affected, sometimes getting a peppery taste in my mouth and a strange burning plastic smell in my nose.

All of these symptoms are slapping me in the face all day everyday and its interfering with every aspect of my life. socially, personally, I can't even distract myself from it because I have difficulty reading or understanding things being said. and now, doctors are adamant on the stress route just because my MRI and CT were clear, saying theres no more tests, when there's EEG's and MRA's that could be done. my whole family is stressed out, and they are on the side of it being stress as well, but there not the one's who have to live with these symptoms, day in day out. my whole body just jumps around at times and I don't feel in control of my own actions and it's so upsetting it's unreal.

I have no idea what's going on anymore and quite frankly, I'm so close to giving up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information