Thread: PVCS

cocodamol 30/500

i was over doing these a little recently...for 4 weeks ..sometimes 14 a day rather than the safe 8.....most days i took about 12 .....i have had really bad palps PVCS for 4 weeks now ..think there is a link?

i have a theory.....the codeine was slowing my heart and breathing right downat the end of 4 weeks of this the PVCs started...i an not quite "right" yet

whistling

on CITALOPRAM for 5 months and whistled like a budgie for the whole time......could not get out of bed though......

PVCS

any takin' propranalol for the dreaded PVCs?

2mg

been on the 2mg for a few days 3 per day....doc is reluctant to up the dosage saying "these can become addictive after just 1 week.......in the 70s peeps were on these tabs for YEARS........i was a chemist assistant in my day

Re: 2mg

John,

You've started 6 threads in quick succession. Please wait for responses before starting new threads as it becomes very confusing for members to respond.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

PVCs CAN be life shortening

not wanting to scare anyone here but perhaps someone could explain what this link article means.....?
    and perhaps put my mind at ease.....

hi i'm John and i'm a anxoius man at the mo.......

been getting PVCs for over 25/30 years maybe, but always the "normal"/average amount (up to 10 a day or so) even when i exercise...this i could handle

4 weeks ago after a 4 week course of cocodamol,out of the blue, dozens of PVCs at any time of the day no matter what i was doing. ( oh i'm 57)single random ectopic beats.they got so bad, one every 5/10 seconds (although i think i panicked/stressed my self into this episode by focusing on them to the exclusion of everything else.....got to the emergency room where they captured some on tape,xrayed my chest and gave me the once over.once the consultant seen what was on the tape she considered i had nothing to worry about but would order a holter and echo for peace of mind,saying to me that she did not expect to find anything sinister because i have no other symptoms at all

two weeks previous to this episode i had a 24 holter that my GP recommended because i told him i was having the odd exercise induced PVC in the warm down period.result? one single PVC over 24 hours!

fast forward a few weeks and i start getting these PVCs A LOT!
    so the nice lady in the emergency room fits me with a holter for the next day result? 100s i am panicking this time with the holter on and he anxiety is killing me ...i think i am making these ectopics worse myself

the next day after the monitor has been removed i have around 20 or so PVCs the whole day WTF?

if i walk in the park in the morning for an hour and a half my heart rate stays at 90 or a little more with very few PVCs....but in the resting period after the walk when i have something to eat the rate moves up a little to around 100 and that's when i notice quite a few PVCs,2 or 3 a minute at time.this can last for 2/3 hour some times

i have the results of my 2nd holter to come plus an echo to go through and i am constantly being reassured on the net that in a structurally normal heart PVCs are nothing to worry about then i read this article...http://www.cardiology.org/recentpape...PVCEngel.pdf.i don't pretend to understand much of it but they appear to saying that faster heart rates and any kind of regular PVC is an increased likelyhood of death.who i am suppose to believe?this stuff makes me worse

oh BTW hello and nice to meet you all

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

link not working ..try this

http://www.cardiology.org/recentpape...HRPVCEngel.pdf
    Last edited by doctorjohn; 05-09-12 at 19:40.

Re: PVCS

It sounds a bit alarming, but to put it in context, the results are based on a 10 second ecg - not on an echocardiogram. That means that some people may have had underlying heart disease that was not picked up. They were not 100% healthy to start with. Also, many people may have had pvc's that day - but they weren't picked up on the ecg.

I can't find the link just now, but I did see a paper which reviewed 15 past studies on pvc's and concluded that overall their results (good or bad) were unreliable because they were based on ecg's not echos, ie. did not pick up any underlying heart disease.

Also, you may not be able to do anything to completely eradicate the pvc's - but you can do things to help your heart. Obesity and smoking are probably much greater risks to heart health than having pvc's.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

edit:

Found it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...t=AbstractPlus
    Review published in 2010. Conclusion:

"Most studies on PVC prognosis in 'normal hearts' did not use advanced tests to rule out structural heart disease. Among these patients, PVCs are associated with a worse cardiovascular outcome if patients are older and have higher cardiovascular risk, suggesting that the poor prognosis studies may have inadvertently included patients with occult structural heart disease, the population in which PVCs are known to confer adverse outcomes."

Thread Information