Thread: Stopping Citalopram symptoms

Stopping Citalopram symptoms

Hi
    I was taking 20mg citalopram daily for about 4-5 months.
    I've been discharged from the mental health service because I felt that I was ready to attempt getting my life back on track.
    About a week ago I started taking half a tablet. Three days after that I stopped completely.
    I've been feeling light headed and rather miserable for the last few days.
    Should I continue to not take anything or start taking half tablets again.
    Any advice would be great

Re: Stopping Citalopram symptoms

Hi. I was on cit for nearly 7 years. Took me several attempts to come off it. When I finally did I felt crap for about a week but it was totally worth it. Feel so much better now and wouldn't go back on them. Advice I'd give is come off as slowly as possible xx

You have come off it too quickly to be honest. It needs to be a very gradual decrease over many weeks.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Do you think I should go back to taking it and ween myself off slower or just continue to stop altogether right now? Cheers so much for the response.

I agree. You've come off too quickly, it needs to be very slowly. If your feeling spaced out and a bit rubbish i would. Speak to your GP.

It will take too long to get an appointment. I've had to wait over 2 weeks many times. I'm starting university in 10 days so this isn't really an option. If I take a whole tablet now, and then start taking halves again from tomorrow for a month, is this a better plan?

I was on 20mg and went down to 10mg for a few weeks and then down to 5mg for a few weeks and then 5mg every other day. It's a long process but comin off too quickly could also result in a relapse and you don't want that when your starting Uni. There's no rush to come off them asap, just take it very slowly. It's worth it in the long run

Ok, thanks for the advice. Taken some now because I feel terrible. I'll make sure that I reduce it much slower then before. Cheers again

Good luck with Uni xx

Thank you. I love how friendly and genuine the people on this forum are. It's definitely helped more than any professional help that I received. Cheers

Thread Information