Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Mammogram

First Mammogram

I have received my letter today regarding a routine mammogram. I am fifty one. I am not sure what to expect so I have asked my sister to come with me. I am slightly nervous as I know three people at the moment who are recovering from breast cancer. They have all had mastectomies and two of them are in my age group. I regularly check my breasts for lumps and other abnormalities. Any experiences would be welcome. EJ.

Re: First Mammogram

I got my first letter on my 50th birthday! I have had 2 now and I am happy to go because it reassures me that everything is fine or if they do find anything hopefully it is soon enough to do something about it. If you check yourself regularly, that is a good thing. The mammogram is slightly uncomfortable but only takes a few seconds.

I had one when I was 40 and it is more embarrassing than anything else really

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

You will be ok EJ. Only lasts a few seconds once have been put i the right position.
    All the best

Thanks for the input. I think it is fear of the unknown. I will post nearer the date and let you know how I get on. EJ

Hello

I had one and then a following up as I had some old scar tissue (from a reduction). It is a bit embarrassing I think. But it is quick and I was reassured that all the lumps on one side were just old scars. My Mum died of ovarian cancer so my risk of breast/ovarian is increased. I aim to have my ovaries removed as soon as I get past the menopause (only 43 now). I have decided not to have any more mammos now though and wait till I join the national programme at 50 as I am not sure scanning them once a year is that healthy. I was offered them annually due to Mum's death.

Hope all goes OK.

Kate

Well I did it and went for my mammogram today. I did not have to wait and was seen before my appointment time. I think that the machine was digital/computerised as there were no x-ray plates to remove, I am rather small up top so being squashed into a machine that has suction-not pleasant a bit painful but then it is over in seconds. I think that six views were taken overall. I will have to wait up to two weeks for the result. I feel fine about it as I know at least four people who are recovering from breast cancer. Screening is the best way to detect this disease early in the majority of women. EJ

Really pleased it went ok for you.

It has been a week but haven't had the result yet. EJ

Well doing for good, good luck with the results too : )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information