Thread: Really desperate for advice & help please

Really desperate for advice & help please

Hi everyone

I've been having a really bad time for a good few months now and despite being pretty anti-medication; i feel as though i have no other choice now.

I've had anxiety disorder for almost 20 yrs and in the first 10 yr+ i tried all kinds of anti-despressants with no improvement of my anxiety. The last time i tried some was earlier this year, and i was shaking uncontrollably after just one tablet and as i'm still working full time; i just couldn't go through days or even weeks of side-effects before possibly feeling better.

But this past few months, i have tried all alternative therapies i can find & afford and things are just getting worse.

So,i'm back to the doctor this afternoon and i am willing to try anything. My main concern is terrible shaking, tightness of the chest, feeling ridiclulously hot & weak legs. At these times, distraction, relaxation etc just don't cut it!

Usually i feel like this very rarely & when its really really bad, i take a diazepam. But as its got worse, i know that taking hem regularly is not an option.

So, i just wondered what sucess others had had and any types of medication i could consider when i see the doctor today?

I was signed off work for 2 weeks (2 wks ago) but i didn't take the time off, as i had too much work to do and my assistant was on holiday.

I'd appreciate any advice; as i'm really terrified that this is getting so bad and there seems to be no reason for it.

Thanks in advance
    x

Re: Really desperate for advice & help please

i am cipralex 5mg its brill. take care hun xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there,

Tell your GP exactly what you've said here and have a good talk though all the options - a quick read of the NICE guidance on anxiety disorders might help beforehand.

All I can say is that ADs work for lots of people (different people have success with different ones and a lot of it is trial and error). Unfortunately, they all can have difficult start-up effects which you have to ride out for a few weeks. Diazepam can help with this.

Beta blockers are an option if your symptoms are mainly physical (ie shaking, pounding heart, sweating etc) but don't act on the psychological symptoms (excessive worrying, intrusive thoughts etc). Their side effects are much easier to cope with right from the start. Not suitable, in most cases, if you're asthmatic.

Some people take ADs and beta blockers together. Again, that's an option, especially to help with the AD start-up effects.

If you can't tolerate ADs and beta blockers aren't right, GPs are advised to consider pregabalin. It's usually a last-line option as it's still relatively new when used for anxiety (its main use is as an anti-convulsive) and it's quite expensive. There are other options such as anti-psychotics but they're only used when all other options have failed and normally require the intervention of a psychiatrist.

Of course, I've only mentioned meds as that's what you asked about. Therapies such as CBT and relaxation therapy are a much sounder long-term solution as they can help treat the cause of your anxiety rather than just the symptoms.

I hope that helps and be sure to let us know how you got on.

Take care

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Spuder, Hi Pipkin

Thanks for your replies. Well, i'm just back from the doctor and instead of pretending that i was OK really(which i normally do), that wasn't really an option, as i had a total melt down in there and she insisted that i take 2 weeks off work and has put me on 50mg of setraline, diazepam as & when and proprananol 3 times a day for the shakes.
    Then i need to go back in 2 wks and see how i'm doing.
    As much as i hate to take time off work, this time i'm going to do it and really concentrate of relaxing, getting as much gentle exercise as i can, fix myself lots of healthy food and ride out the side-effects.

Thanks again
    x

Hi there,

To me, it sounds like you've got a pretty savvy GP who's got the meds spot on. You were absolutely right to be completely honest about how you feel - that's the only way you can get help.

Having been exactly where you are, I would recommend you start the beta blockers and ADs straight away. That way, you will get over the worst of the start-up effects whilst you're off work, if indeed you get any this time. You don't say if you've taken beta blockers before but, for me, they are fantastic at controlling the physical symptoms. They'll really help you over the next few weeks.

Don't be alarmed if you do get raised anxiety. Try to ignore it as best you can and distract yourself. Go out for walks and relax, reading a book or watching a film. I know from experience that the worst thing you can do is stay in bed and dwell on how you're feeling.

Have faith that you're on the path to recovery and that your GP has got it spot on. In a few weeks' time, you'll look back and see how far you've come. You'll feel so much better!

Take care

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Pip. So kind of you to be so supportive. I will give it all a try and see how I go. Any advice on best time if day to take them? I'm thinking of taking the AD now, as just had dinner. Should I take the beta blockers at the same time as the AD? Or space it?
    I'm going to be positive and really make the most of this time to look after myself. I'll let you know how I'm getting on. X

Hi - I take my ADs in the morning as they wake me up but for some, they're quite sedating so they take them in the evening. You'll find out which and can adjust it so that it suits you.

When I took BBs regularly (this will sound odd but bear with me!), I used to set a second alarm clock to go off half an hour before my main one so that I could take my 1st BB. I then used to wake up with no physical symptoms half an hour later. The mornings are always worse for me.

Hope that helps

Pip

Sounds good. I've just taken my first AD now and will probably take a BB just before bed and again in the morning then. Thanks again. You really have put my mind at rest so much. X

Hello,

You could try Zyprexa, it is a AP but it could completely remove your anxiety. I went from a jabbering wreck to relaxed and calm within a few hours of taking it. It made me sleepy in the beginning so I took it at night. It is also a mood stabilizer so it will help with depression.

The side effect for this drug is weight gain, It makes you hungry and does various other things to increase your weight.

If you can stand to gain maybe 1 stone this medication could be for you.
    Last edited by lleksam; 27-09-12 at 22:15.
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

How you been since your last post?

Thread Information