Thread: Anyone ever feel like stopping meds?

Anyone ever feel like stopping meds?

So I've been suffering pretty bad anxiety for just over 2 mths. Really debilitating, bad DP, weakness... all the usual stuff which together makes you a wreck. I started on Prozac for 7 weeks and didn't get on with it so now on Sertraline. I'm just getting very fed up and confused with meds. At least before I started them I knew my symptoms were due to anxiety. Now I don't know what is causing what because of all the side effects. I have this urge to just stop taking them so I get get back in touch with 'myself'. Even if myself is a nervous wreck.

Probably a bad idea. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Re: Anyone ever feel like stopping meds?

no i wouldnt just stop without tappering off as u get withdrawl symptoms. i couldnt live with my tabs they r my life line mybe go back to your gp and ask for another type of med best of luck tc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there,

You need to give it longer to work, I'm afraid. In my experience, some ADs can take a good 3 months to become fully effective.

Of course, I hate relying on medication because they don't really get to the root cause of your anxiety, they just help you to live with it. I admit though that they can really give you the space and clarity of mind to do some serious thinking and work out the problem and try to fix it. Therapy can really help you to do this too.

I hope that helps

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks guys, reason tells me it's a bad idea but it's good hearing it from someone else too. I guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time and hopefully there will be an improvement... xx

I feel like stopping my meds because I want to be 'normal' and I don't want to have to rely on anything to keep my life on track. I think to do it though it needs to be at a time that I can fall because it will most likely happen which at the minute isn't the right time.

I am going try it in the future though. Got to be ready.

Hi there,

Reading back my post, it looks like I'm a bit negative about meds - that's not true as they have been a life saver for me and they can be for you too. I just recognise that they can mask the underlying cause and a lot of people think that they're the solution when they're not.

Keep at it though - when they are fully effective, they make a huge difference and will really give you your life back.

Take care

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information