Thread: 2 weeks in and struggling, but side effects have improved!

2 weeks in and struggling, but side effects have improved!

Dear all,

I first started on prozac two weeks ago to treat my anxiety/depression/ocd! On the first day I was fine and then after that I could not sleep, had awful anxiety (my hands were dripping with sweat), and I could not see anyone (apart from my mum and doctor), or eat (I had terrible heart burn and stomach aches and a temperature). I had to have a week off of work and stayed with my mum most of the week and I just spent most of the time sobbing in her arms. I did start to feel better in the evening!But I felt much worse during the day than I have ever felt in my life!

I went back to my doctor after four days and she reduced the dose from 20mg to 10mg to help with the side effects. After a few days, the side effects definitely went, but I was left with a bit of breathlessness.

However, now I just feel really low as if nothing is going to help me. I have taken prozac before and it worked almost instantly, but this time around I feel like I am just waiting to get better and I am worried nothing will ever work.

I just wondered if anyone had any positive comments about prozac and a bit of encouragement, as if it will not kick in before 4-6 weeks, I need something to keep me going.

Best wishes,

Re: 2 weeks in and struggling, but side effects have improved!

Hi

Know how you feel! I started prozac 5 weeks ago and the first three and a half to 4 weeks were hellish.Never felt so depressed, ill and i wondered what the hell i was doing....but at 4 weeks i noticed signs of improvement and at 5 weeks feeling no depression /anxiety at all.Still shake a little and feel a little odd but so glad i kept going with it.I am more logical and seem to be able to put things into perspective.
    I have not drunk any alcholol and gave up on coffee...good news is ...the sex drive returned!!

Stick at it ...you will be fine but right off the next couple of weeks ...small price to pay for some sanity. ps I am just a normal middle aged bloke with no fairy ideas.

Re: 2 weeks in and struggling, but side effects have improved!

What a great reply. Thank you so much. I was needing some reassurance and your message did just that. I have to just keep at it, no matter how bad I feel!

I am sure your message will provide a lot of hope to others too.

Thank you again

Thread Information