Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't leave my house because of panic and anxiety.

Unhappy I can't leave my house because of panic and anxiety.

Hello, i'm new to this so i'm sorry if i bore you. I am 17 years old, nearly 18. I used to have such a good life. I would go out everyday, have no worries, i was happy! But in the last 2 maybe 3 years i have been having panic and anxiety attacks. It started out as the odd panic attack, but it would never effect my social life. I wouldn't let it. Then it gradually developed. I was kicked out of my house, i lost all of my friends and i was forced to move in with my boyfriend. In the last year i have been the lowest i could ever of imagined myself to get. I can't even leave my house. I have no social life, i am depressed, i don't even like leaving my bedroom to go downstairs. The thought of being outside brings on panic attacks. My heart races, my chest hurts and my breathing becomes more difficult. I can't even eat downstairs with other people. I am so down, i need help. I feel as though i'm never going to get better. I have SEVERE panic attacks to the point where i physically can't breathe. I just want to be able to leave the house, and to be able to wake up and be worry free. I hate my life atm. I am so down. I don't know what to do.

Hi CharlotteQ

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: I can't leave my house because of panic and anxiety.

you poor thing it sounds like your having a really rough time of it. Anxiety is so crippling but this site is really good as you know everyone on here is in the same boat. What you have to keep hold of is that it can be overcomed. I have had terrible periods of anxiety followed by feeling completely normal periods. Have you been to the doctors about it and if so what did they suggest. I found citaopram was good for me plus running! Hope this helps you alittle bit

Thank you for responding, it's nice to know people care! i am having REALLY rough time. I have been having suicidal thoughts, it's gotten to the point where i can't even leave the house to see family members. I have been to my dr but he really didn't help. He made me feel like i'm stupid, he asked me questions like why are you having panic attacks your 17 and told me to stop being silly. Although he did tell me that councelling might help. But i don't want more people to think i'm an idiot. Plus when i talk about it, it makes me think about it and then i get another panic attack, if you understand what i mean? Have you overcome anxiety and panic? And if so do you have any tips on things that helped?
    Thank you
    Kind reguards
    Charlotte

You poor girl that's a terrible situation to be in at 17 years of age. I'm in the same boat as you. Even the thought of leaving the house brings on the start of a panic attack and when I try to leave the house I start to hyperventilate.

Have you seen a Doctor about the problems you're having? If you can't get to the Doctors ring and ask for a home visit, explain to them that you can't get into surgery as you are housebound with agoraphobia and they will come out to you. It is important that you speak to a Doctor. They may decide to give you some medication to see if that works or go down the therapy route. The sooner you address this problem the easier is to solve. That is my biggest regret leaving my panic attacks to get worse over the years and not facing the issue. I'm going to start the CBT4PANIC programme soon to see if that is of any use. No Panic are a charity that can help people with problems like ours if you need someone to talk to, their number is free phone 0800 1388889.

Hope you get better soon x

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteQ View Post
    Thank you for responding, it's nice to know people care! i am having REALLY rough time. I have been having suicidal thoughts, it's gotten to the point where i can't even leave the house to see family members. I have been to my dr but he really didn't help. He made me feel like i'm stupid, he asked me questions like why are you having panic attacks your 17 and told me to stop being silly. Although he did tell me that councelling might help. But i don't want more people to think i'm an idiot. Plus when i talk about it, it makes me think about it and then i get another panic attack, if you understand what i mean? Have you overcome anxiety and panic? And if so do you have any tips on things that helped?
    Thank you
    Kind reguards
    Charlotte
    I've already posted and just seen your second post. That is awful that your Doctor was so rude and unhelpful. Is there a different doctor at the practice that you could see? If not go back and tell him that you are not been silly and you need help. You are not an idiot you have a problem and your doctor is duty bound to help you. Some Doctors make me really angry!

Me too, it's nice to know someone understands. I've been feeling so alone! I've spoke to a few different nurses at my local hospital, they checked my blood pressure, my lungs and my heart and they told me i was healthy. I've had blood and urine tests and they both came back okay. But when i spoke to my dr and told him i've been having bad panic attacks, he just laughed and asked me why and just told me i'm being silly and that i'm so young. This really didn't help. It just made me feel stupid.
    Thank you, SO much. I really do appreciate it.
    I hope you feel better too x

oh goodness, you poor thing. I really empathise with you and hope that being on here and talking to others in a similar position helps you begin your journey in overcoming anxiety.

I think it could be a good idea to talk to a different doctor, and like has been suggested above maybe ask for a home visit? It can be hard to explain everything fully so writing down how you have been feeling so you can use a reference point when talking to the doctor is a good idea. Something which really helps me is writing in my journal, that way no matter what is in my head can be written down and then it's technically out there (and sometimes if i read it back i can understand why i was so scared)

breathing exercises may help you too, all to often when panicking we breathe shallow and only from the top part of our lungs, i'm learning to breathe 'properly' from my belly (so when you breathe in/out you see your belly moving and not just your chest).

Have you thought about some meditations you could do via a computer (or there are lots of CD's). One i downloaded to my iphone was HeadSpace, which is 10 minutes of meditation for 10 days free. That might help give you some breathing space?

And remember, you are not alone. There are plenty of people on here, and there are phone lines like Samaritans who are always available to just talk to.

Everyone on here is so lovely! it's made me feel reassured just knowing that there are people who know exactly what i'm going through! Thank you for taking the time to read my post! And yes i think that starting a journel is a great idea.
    It will help to get rid of all the stress and worry. It will sort of feel like i am getting rid of it in writing, it will also help to see if i have progressed as time goes on. My biggest worry is not getting better. It is my 18th birthday in 2 weeks and my mum wants to take me to meadowhall and to get our nails done. I'm dreading it :(
    Thank you, a million times! X

Thats disgraceful that your doctor has made you feel that way. Is there possibly a young woman doctor you could talk to. I think in my opinion it can be easier to talk to someone who is similar to yourself if that makes any sense! If I were you I would ring your doctors and ask for a telephone appointment. I find it easier to talk about how im feeling over the phone. You said your having suicidal thoughts? I am not at all depressed but have been constantly worrying that i will kill myself. anxiety is a funny old thing. Is your boyfriend supportive? Why not try going for a run after it gets dark if only to the end of your street and back, you could get your boyfriend to go with you. I found it so theraputic. Just remember you have not had any treatment yet for your anxiety and I am 100% sure that how your feeling right now will change drasticly when you get the proper support

Yeah i understand you completely! I definately think talking to someone who has been through what i have and has managed to overcome it would definately help! and i didn't realise you could talk to your doctor over the phone, it's really nice to hear that that kind of thing is available i think that would be a lot easier for me too. My boyfriend tries to be supportive, but he gets angry with me cause i don't like leaving the house. He says that i'm boring and that i'm not the person he fell in love with anymore. We used to do everything together and now i can't even walk to the shop with him. He told me he doesn't know how he feels anymore but he's told me that he will allways be here for me. But that's understandable because it's not exactly fair on him either.
    Thank you ever so much. Your so kind x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information