Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone had a colonoscopy without sedation

Re: anyone had a colonoscopy without sedation

hi jonnas, glad to have helped put your mind at ease.....anytime

Quote Originally Posted by nigela27 View Post
    Hi
    Mark-is that the sedative then -the valium?
    I do not want a sedative at all-I hoped they could just give me a tablet form of muscle relaxant and pain relief! It is a full colonoscopy-do you think the only pain then to expect is from the gas? I had a hysteroscopy to check out fibroids recently and this was without sedation-had but cramp in stomach due to the gas.Also can i take rehydration sachets with or after the prep to stop me getting bad migraine?
    Thanks
    Nigela
    I have had sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies without sedation and it is painful for me as I have Crohn's.

However, I had a hysteroscopy 3 weeks ago and I have never felt pain so bad before I nearly passed out!

So if you coped with that the colonoscopy will be a walk in the park

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

How painful is the gas?
    Thanks nIgela x

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Hi I know you said you have crohns-they not sure what i have-so not sure if it will hurt or not! How did it feel for you when the gas went in?

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Hi Bernie did you have sedation?
    Nigela x

Hi Nigela. It was a sigmoidoscopy I had and I didn't have sedation for that. I did have sedation for an endoscopy but it didn't work for me, I was fully alert and couldn't have it done as I was so scared, I have a bad gagging reflex.

Good luck you'll be ok

It hurts when the gas goes in and when they try to get round the bends in the bowels.

I got really bad stomach cramps but it comes and goes so the pain isn't constant.

It is fascinating to watch on the screen though so that does take your mind off it a bit.

The worst has to be the prep day to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I agree, the prep is the worst bit, being glued to the toilet for hours on end is no fun! The stuff tastes disgusting too, it was making me gag!

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    It hurts when the gas goes in and when they try to get round the bends in the bowels.

I got really bad stomach cramps but it comes and goes so the pain isn't constant.

It is fascinating to watch on the screen though so that does take your mind off it a bit.

The worst has to be the prep day to be honest.
    Sorry can I ask you again-did you have sedation with it?-how painful when it goes around the bends? -just crampy or worse?
    thanks

No I don't have sedation as that would freak me out more.

It is painful when it goes round the bend but remember that I have Crohn's so my bowels are red and inflammed anyway.

My apt has come for Oct 1st. I must try to forget about it till then as this is making my stomach pain worse! There is two great big bags(2 litres!) of this moviprep stuff-one to be taken at 7pm and the other at 6am! I then have to go by car two hours to the hosp-so lets hope it has all finished! i will be so hungry! Then i dont have to be there till 11.45-so goodness knows how long it will be till they actually do it!
    Nigela

Quote Originally Posted by nigela27 View Post
    My apt has come for Oct 1st. I must try to forget about it till then as this is making my stomach pain worse! There is two great big bags(2 litres!) of this moviprep stuff-one to be taken at 7pm and the other at 6am! I then have to go by car two hours to the hosp-so lets hope it has all finished! i will be so hungry! Then i dont have to be there till 11.45-so goodness knows how long it will be till they actually do it!
    Nigela
    Do you think it may be wise to take a little less of this stuff as I only weigh 8 stone! I guess the same amount wold be given to a big man!-just a thought!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information