Thread: Feel so down day 13

Feel so down day 13

So it's day 13 of Citalopram 10mg. Feeling so down today. Can't really cry or anything just want to stare into space. Seems like everyone else is out there enjoying the beautiful weather and I just want to be left alone. I started the Cit for anxiety/panic and NOT depression. I'm always busy so never really depressed. Just always angry and stressed!! Any one feel this way?

Re: Feel so down day 13

day 13 here too (14th dose is later tonight) and I am the same Loopylu, I had a few good days last week, and now I am back to my down in the dumps. I just want to feel like my old self again, and right now, that feels so far away.

Today I have felt like a zombie, wanting to just close my eyes all the time. I'm not eating right and want my appetite back!

are both of you taking cit for the first time?

This may help you understand why your feeling down

SSRIs inhibit the reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) into the presynaptic cell, increasing levels of 5-HT within the synaptic cleft.
    However, there is one counteracting effect: high serotonin levels will not only activate the postsynaptic receptors, but also flood presynaptic autoreceptors, which serve as a feedback sensor for the cell. Activation of the autoreceptors (by agonists like serotonin) triggers a throttling back of serotonin production. The resulting serotonin deficiency persists for some time, as the transporter inhibition occurs downstream to the cause of the deficiency and therefore, is not able to counterbalance the serotonin deficiency. The body adapts gradually to this situation by lowering (downregulating) the sensitivity of the autoreceptors.[85]

These (slowly proceeding) neurophysiological adaptations of the brain tissue are the reason why usually several weeks of continuous SSRI use is necessary for the antidepressant effect to become fully manifested,[86] and why increased anxiety is a common side effect in the first few days or weeks of use.
    [edit]

so you see, your feeling low because you dont have any seritonin sloshing around YET.

These drugs take time, and that explanation above should make sense to you.

Just do what you can to make yourselves comfortable and let time pass. xx

Thanks both. Just trying to stay occupied. Feeling slightly better. Can't wait for them to kick in! >

Iggy, this is my 2nd time I think (possibly 3rd, but I think 2nd)

Sorry Iggy...This is my first time on Citalopram but was on ecitalopram 4 years ago for dp/anxiety/panic. My doc said they don't prescribe it anymore but I didn't question why? Anyone know the difference?

Ill tell you why, because Citalopram cost the gov' 90p per packet and lexapro costs £9 per packet, THATS WHY mean pigs!

The difference between the 2 drugs is that Lexapro is a cleaner version of cit with less side effects and some say works quicker, gee thanks medical proffesion!

The funny thing is...Had I known this...or even had the option to pay myself. I wouldn't think twice!! Terrible!!! Here in Wales we getbfree prescriptions so it's no wonder x

I once had a GP tell me how much my inhaler cost per unit (over £30!) compared to a previous one.

I pointed out that the new one worked, and that the old one didn't, and that in the long run it was probably saving te NHS money by not having to treat my asthma more often!

Thread Information