Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amitriptyline/Triptafen

Hi,

I did post a long message but ive just lost it for some reason! I am a newbie! OOps!

anyway just to let you know, i was on amitriptyline for 3 years and it worked for me whilst i was on it for anxiety. I did get some side effects, but nothing bad enough for me to stop it. Ive tried a few SSRI's before and they made my anxiety worse, this helped me get back to about 70% normality, but if you get the chance try and get some therapy too this will help in the long term.

I hope your starting to feel the benefits of it, let us know how its going.

Good luck xx

Thanks all of you. Im supposed to go up to 30mg in the next few days which I will do and am seeing the dr on monday so will letyou all know. Feel ok but still a bit anxious and hyperventilating a bit. Take care. love wenjoy x

Hi,

How are you getting on with 30mg, thats what I'm on at the mo!

Red

I'd be interested to hear how the 30mg per week is helping too!

Am on 10mg at night, occasionally 20mg at night, and the difference it has made in helping me sleep has been fantastic! Still get some of the symptoms during the day and wondered if the larger doseage might help.

I think with Amitriptyline it takes several weeks to build up the effect especially at low doseages.

Thanks, Chris

HI there Red and Chris

I took 30mg for a week and just felt ok but nothing major so saw my dr and had a slight panic in the closed room but was ok as calmed my breathing down. Me and my dr decided to take me off the Triptafen as it didnt really do alot and he has referred me through our primary care trust to a group that help panic sufferers - I am going to see a cbt therapist in a couple of weeks to try and learn techniques for calming down my anxiety - will keep you all posted on how it goes.
    Triptafen works for some people but for me it just didnt make a huge amount of difference plus the weather not being so humid and hot meant my asthma calmed down a bit anyhow!
    Love wenjoy xx

I am currently on 100mg and to be honest I don't have any side effects apart from a dry mouth and slightly shakey. I have been on them for about 5 weeks, I have been on them before and have always found that I start to have panic attacks and more anxiety, whilst they are getting into my system. It may take a little while, but they do work, please don't stop your medication, you need to give it at least 2 months before you really notice any difference.

Smile Re: Amitriptyline/Triptafen

Hi Wenjoy,

New to this site and first posting! Hello to you and all

I originally went to my Doctor as I couldn't sleep (no other symptoms) and he prescribed Amitriptyline, which I have been taking and yes indeed, it knocks you out completely for about 9-10 hours.

I stopped taking them as didn't want to become reliant and hoped that other natural techniques would allow me to drop off naturally.

Since stopping the Amitriptyline, I have had several problems, hence my visit to this wonderfully informative and friendly site. Before taking these tablets, I had no panic/anxiety symptoms that I knew of - no hyperventilating, no sudden, fast, missed, jumpy heartbeats, no hot flushes for no reason, dry tingly mouth, chest pain - etc. It's worse as I lay in bed at night or go to the supermarket.

Did the sudden stopping of Amitriptyline bring on these panic attack symptoms? Would I have had them before and not known - I doubt it, as they are the most terrifying feelings ever!! Apart from insomnia, I felt fine before taking these little blue tablets to help me sleep.

Anyway, I hope my story helps you to decide whether to take this medicine - my thoughts are - I wish I'd never set eyes on it!!

Take Care and thanks for reading my words.

Hubber

Re: Amitriptyline/Triptafen

unfortunately amitrp didnt work for me ........i was on them 12 yrs intil the hozzy found that it was the amitrp that was causing my ectopic heartbeats (PVCs)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information