Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just start to pick myself up and something else knocks me down

Just start to pick myself up and something else knocks me down

My son just phoned me to tell me that their beautiful little cat has been knocked down by a car and killed. He and his wife are devastated and I just can't stop crying since he called to tell me. Pets become part of the family and I am so upset. I was just starting to pick myself up a bit this morning and feel so anxious again now

Re: Just start to pick myself up and something else knocks me down

Hi Annie.
    Something very similar happened to be a few weeks ago. I am a student so live away from home and one night my mum text me to tell me my little sisters hamster had died. I was at my partners parents at the time and didn't want to start crying infront of them over a hamster, even though it meant a lot to all of us. So i held it in for over 2 hours. As soon as I was on my own I just cried and cried for hours! I wasnt just crying for me, I was crying for my little sister, shes only eight. Ended up having a panic attack.
    You are not alone feeling this way.

Losing a pet is devastating. I'm so sorry to hear your sad news

Be kind to yourself. You are having such a tough time, but you will come through it. I'm thinking of you.

It just seems like one bad thing after another is happening. He was such a beautiful cat and so lovable. Hellobubs..no matter how small a pet is, they are part of your family, I cried when my daughters dwarf hamster died and when the goldfish died! so I can understand your grief with your sisters hamster. My son is not too well at the moment either so that makes it even harder. I just keep wondering if things will ever start to get better. I was having a better day today and had a walk up the street this morning but feel so down again now Thank you both for your kind words.

Obviously this is of no fault to family members or friends, but I have noticed from myself and from your post that we seem to take on others grief as well as our own! This is just us being good people but doesnt help our emotional states. I've always found just crying and crying can help. If that's what your body and mind wants to do right now, let it.
    Sometimes it's hard not to think .. WHY ME!?! WHY MY FAMILY?!
    You will get a lot of support on here

I know people keep telling me I take on too many problems of others and forget to think about myself sometimes, but that's just how I am...I see someone on TV upset and crying and I start to cry. As a Liverpool fan I just downloaded You'll never walk alone in memory of the 96 and I said to my youngest son "I get emotional every time I listen to this" His reply was "Mam, you would get emotional over a piece of lettuce!" I think all I have done is cry these past few weeks.

That's exactly how I am! My mum says all the time I just need to start thinking of myself more and leave other peoples problems but I just can't..I suppose it's a good thing as I am currently studying how to be a counsellor at university.
    I was worried at first that having depression and anxiety would jeopardize my future career but I think it is just spurring me on and with help me have more empathy towards people. I just hope I can learn to deal with this myself before I even try to help others.
    I haven't cried in so long but this past 2 weeks I've cried loads. It's worrying though, don't want to start going backwards...

The thing you have to learn being a counsellor is not to take every ones troubles home with you. I work in a secondary school and often have students sharing their problems with me and sometimes it is hard for me not to keep worrying about them.

Yer that's going to be something I am going to have to overcome. I am starting a one day a week placement soon so I suppose that will be my test! .. There is also a short training course starting after christmas so definitely going to do that too.
    So do you have any plans for today to maybe take your mind of things for a while?

There isn't a lot I can do at the moment, that is my biggest problem. I am recovering from a fractured foot :( so just sitting telling my husband what needs doing! Will watch the Liverpool match later and hope they win...I don't want any more disappointments today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information