Hi Ruby,

I've literally just signed up to this forum after reading your post/s.

firstly, I feel bad for you as I know exactly what you're going through. I left my previous job as it simply didn't pay. I was working as a teaching assistant and loved it, but the money barely covered my standing order and I was losing money every month. One day, I realised that my account was nearly down to nothing and I simply 'had' to leave.

I got offered a role in residential care and, after feeling physically sick myself, with worry, anxiety and stress, I decided to leave.

I was lucky though, as a good friend of mine who works for his brother, offered me a job and I start tomorrow, (in about 5 hours actually, lol).

I've lost a stone in weight, look ill, and used to feel sick all the time. The staff were great, but, ultimately, it was the job role itself - it was the cause of my illness.
my advice, would be to ask yourself if it's the work colleagues, or the job itself that you find it difficult to deal with.

if the role was different and the colleagues the same, would it make you feel any better? On the other hand, if it was the same job role, but with different people, then would that help?

I missed my old working colleagues, like crazy!!! The inner turmoil, knowing that they all got to see each other on a daily basis, and I didn't, was what hurt the most.

it'll get easier with time, but if it still feels terrible after the first three to four months, then I would consider a change of scenery.

I too asked for my old job back - I felt as though I'd hapoily quit smoking, stop all of my unnecessary purchases - anything to return to what I knew best.......my old role, but it was no good - the damage had been done and my old role, filled.

Do what I did:

Log onto indeed, reed, or any other mixture of job sites, search for roles that reflect what you wish to pursue in your career and apply for as many as you can muster. It makes it easier, knowing that even whilst you're at yor current job, there's still a large chance that your application/s are out there (sent away to your next, potential, future employer), and that you just might get out of the current place that you appear to hate so much.

I used to do that. I'd apply for at least one or two jobs during the week and then hit the searches hard during weekends and apply for more. Don't apply for just 'anything' though (even though the temptation is there), as you could just be jumping out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

like I say, apply for a couple of jobs that really are for you. Do this a few times during the week (or over a two week period - application forms can be tedious to complete ), and smile with the knowledge that you're actually doing something about it whilst you're off, at home.

It's a great feelung when you take that lunch break and refresh your email inbox - could there be a response from that job you've recently shown an interest in?

Like I said earlier, I know that I've been lucky, as my friend really did throw me a life line. I feel for you and fully understand where you're coming from, so try what I suggested and be as calm as you can.

someone comented on your need to continue to eat........they're right! I know it's difficult, but try eating small snacks if that helps. Keep apllying for jobs as I found it made my current role(the one I hated), expendable, in a strange way.

keep your chin up and lemme know how you get on. I need to sleep now as my new role starts soon and I've got my fingers crossed that it all goes well.

together we'll do it!

Matt x