Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Job - 2nd day and sick with anxiety!!

Re: New Job - 2nd day and sick with anxiety!!

How long do you think I should give it before I know for sure that's its not the place for me.

I am not a quitter but I think I need to set myself a target, if things don't change I leave.

A month, 3 months, 6, a year?

Hi there, I am in a similar position to you only I have been in the job a bit longer. Think like you say, its not the job thats the problem, its the environment and how I am thinking about things or seeing things. I think that the fact that I haven't had a Job for many years isn't helping matters. I am remembering jobs I had years ago where we all got on like a house on fire. Perhaps it would help me if I stopped looking back so much. I have also got a problem with perfectionism and always beat myself up over any mistakes. So I am not finding it easy either. This post is mainly to let you know you are not alone feeling as you do.

Yeh I think like you I need to stop looking back. I think of the lovely colleauges (friends actually) and I cry. But what i should be focussing on is why i left which was crap money, no prospects, failing company.

Its comforting to know im not on my own in feeling like this although sad other people are in the same situation.

I wanted to update you all. Its day 4 and some in the department started talking to me yesterday so that's a step in the right direction.

I still have major anxiety, didn't sleep last night, was sick this morning and my stomach seems to be constantly churning and cramping. Why does this happen to me??

I managed to eat a meal last night but I seem to be back at square one now and can't eat a thing today.

I just live in the hope that things will get slightly better here each day and one day I will feel normal again.

Hi Ruby, im in the same boat as you. Im on my second week. Everyone in my new job seems nice but I feel so low in confidence and this is causing anxiety. Its a horrible overwhelming feeling, ive suffered with it numerous times. It will pass as your confidence grows. Remember to eat as your body needs the calories.
    Good luck

Well I made it through week one and came out the other side, god knows how.

I would say my anxiety was worse in the morning, I wake up feeling sick and shaking and it gradually settles during the day although not completely. But that would suggest that perhaps it just takes me time to relax and climatise to my environment. So maybe once im fully familiar with my environment the anxiety will stop all together? What do you think? I'm trying to be positive here haha.

Its Saturday afternoon and I've been fine all day, but just all of a sudden the anxiety is setting in again at the thought of going back Monday.

When will this stop?????

It might well just take some time. I think it takes me about 6 months before I start to feel settled anywhere, and don't think I felt that I could be myself until a year in this job. Hopefully things will settle and your colleagues will warm up a bit. Or maybe this job isn't meant to be because it's the stepping stone to your next amazing dream job! I'd give it a few months if you can (as long as it's not making you ill) and then if they're still cold fish look for somewhere nicer- it's their loss

That's great advice and it sounds simple when you put it like that so why do I tie myself in knots so much?

Why can't I just tell myself its not the end of the world and get on with it?

Because its much easier to give someone else advice. It's not easy when you're the one caught up in it. I stayed at a job I hated for months (I'd cry in the mornings before I had to go in) because it was all so overwhelming and leaving seemed like a scary decision. Now I look back on it I can't believe I stayed there so long! But as I said, it's easier with hindsight and when you're telling someone else

Hey if you find it hard to eat, drink something with sugar in it!
    Honestly when your blood sugar drops it will cause anxiety.
    I find it hard to eat too when I'm anxious so I always have a bottle of sprite/7up with me.
    Also things like milk, meal replacement drinks like Complan help too.
    Even a cup of tea with sugar and milk would be good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information