Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Job - 2nd day and sick with anxiety!!

Re: New Job - 2nd day and sick with anxiety!!

Hi Ruby,

I've literally just signed up to this forum after reading your post/s.

firstly, I feel bad for you as I know exactly what you're going through. I left my previous job as it simply didn't pay. I was working as a teaching assistant and loved it, but the money barely covered my standing order and I was losing money every month. One day, I realised that my account was nearly down to nothing and I simply 'had' to leave.

I got offered a role in residential care and, after feeling physically sick myself, with worry, anxiety and stress, I decided to leave.

I was lucky though, as a good friend of mine who works for his brother, offered me a job and I start tomorrow, (in about 5 hours actually, lol).

I've lost a stone in weight, look ill, and used to feel sick all the time. The staff were great, but, ultimately, it was the job role itself - it was the cause of my illness.
    my advice, would be to ask yourself if it's the work colleagues, or the job itself that you find it difficult to deal with.

if the role was different and the colleagues the same, would it make you feel any better? On the other hand, if it was the same job role, but with different people, then would that help?

I missed my old working colleagues, like crazy!!! The inner turmoil, knowing that they all got to see each other on a daily basis, and I didn't, was what hurt the most.

it'll get easier with time, but if it still feels terrible after the first three to four months, then I would consider a change of scenery.

I too asked for my old job back - I felt as though I'd hapoily quit smoking, stop all of my unnecessary purchases - anything to return to what I knew best.......my old role, but it was no good - the damage had been done and my old role, filled.

Do what I did:

Log onto indeed, reed, or any other mixture of job sites, search for roles that reflect what you wish to pursue in your career and apply for as many as you can muster. It makes it easier, knowing that even whilst you're at yor current job, there's still a large chance that your application/s are out there (sent away to your next, potential, future employer), and that you just might get out of the current place that you appear to hate so much.

I used to do that. I'd apply for at least one or two jobs during the week and then hit the searches hard during weekends and apply for more. Don't apply for just 'anything' though (even though the temptation is there), as you could just be jumping out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

like I say, apply for a couple of jobs that really are for you. Do this a few times during the week (or over a two week period - application forms can be tedious to complete ), and smile with the knowledge that you're actually doing something about it whilst you're off, at home.

It's a great feelung when you take that lunch break and refresh your email inbox - could there be a response from that job you've recently shown an interest in?

Like I said earlier, I know that I've been lucky, as my friend really did throw me a life line. I feel for you and fully understand where you're coming from, so try what I suggested and be as calm as you can.

someone comented on your need to continue to eat........they're right! I know it's difficult, but try eating small snacks if that helps. Keep apllying for jobs as I found it made my current role(the one I hated), expendable, in a strange way.

keep your chin up and lemme know how you get on. I need to sleep now as my new role starts soon and I've got my fingers crossed that it all goes well.

together we'll do it!

Matt x

I havent worked for 2 years

I had a fairly decent job which i left suddenly in Dec 2014 due to a wave of depression. My partner works so we have been living off his wage and coping but having no spare money and going overdrawn here and there

I have 3 kids so have been full time mum for the last 2 years..

I saw a job advertised for a shop 20 hours a week and i thought i need to get myself out and normalise myself as i have been fairly un social. Its mistly for sorting stock but now they want me to do till training

Im scared because im useless at maths i mean i have always struggled with numbers, i find my sons primary school maths difficult. And because i dont like face to face contact with the public.. i panic!!

I want to better myself. And the job itself was mostly stock sorting, but its only my 3rd day and the staff have been saying that they are really stressed out.

I have been having anxiety dreams bad ones and trying to convince myself ut will be ok but i think my mental health has just got worse since starting

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 ----------

Forgot to mention im doing full time for 2 weeks and then the part time hrs kich in

I already feel an inconvenience to my kids and mum who is helping me take my youngest to school as i cant do it now due to work

I do still have to get up at 6.30 drop off my husband into thevtrain station ( 5 miles) then drive 6 miles north ti take my oldest kids to school at rush hour then drop youngest child at my mums and then go to work so as you can imagine im stressed even befre work starts

So here I am, 5 years after my original post, googling this issue and come across my own post!!!

Following this post, I actually gave in and went back to my old job. Things went well, I eventually got a promotion and glad I made that decision. We then went through a merge and everything changed, I was essentially demoted, half the company left and the new company was awful and treated employees badly.

So, I got a new job and started on Monday. Thought I would feel better this time as I couldn't wait to leave but here I am, anxious again and all I want to do is go back to what I know.

How do I conquer this???

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby77 View Post
    How do I conquer this???
    Hi Ruby, I read this thread at just the right time as I'm feeling exactly the same. I start a new job tomorrow and I'm sick to my stomach. It's only 24 hours a week so two 12 hour days but I'm so nervous.

My worry is always that I won't get on with anyone. Today I went for a meeting and left with so many worries. Will I fit in with these people? Will I actually be able to do this job? How soon can I leave if I hate it?

I keep thinking why did I give up my job when I was so comfortable there? I'd rather have had no progression opportunities and lower pay than this anxious feeling for weeks. And because I'm only working 2 days I feel like it will take sooo much longer to settle in.

I'm hoping in a month or twos time that I'll start to feel like I made the right decision. As for your question, I'm wondering how I conquer this too. If it's any help, I'm coping better with this new situation than I ever have before. I used to sob, hyperventilate and shake before something like this. So just feeling sick is progress! I think the key is not to shy away from anything out of your comfort zone, push yourself into your uncomfortable zone even if you hate yourself at first for it.

Keep me updated! X

That is exactly how I feel, why am I giving up the familiarity and safety of my old job and putting myself through this when it is clearly damaging my mental health?

But I also feel that if I don't conquer it this time, it will hold me back for the rest of my life, I will never be able to change jobs.

I guess I just need reassurance that these feelings will pass because at the moment, it doesn't feel like they will.

Maybe we can help each other through this?

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leah_j View Post
    . I start a new job tomorrow and I'm sick to my stomach. X
    Just realised you started today! Hope it's going ok, let me know how you got on x

Thanks all for replying. Its nice to hear people have been in similar situations and that it does pass so there is hope.

I can't help the not eating, its how my anxiety manifests itself and of course it doesn't help because it makes me feel weak and tired.

I have tried talking to them, asking them questions but its so one sided, they don't give much away and don't ask me questions. I came from such a friendly office so this is so hard. I just want to run away and not come back but I can't.

I guess I need to look for a new job so I can find somwhere that fits better but in the mean time I am stuck here feeling like this.
    Dear Ruby.
    My heart goes out to you, but moving to any new job is stressful even for those without nerves. You will I am sure settle down , just do your best and wait until that happens.
    I remember the last new job I had, it was a completely different job that I had never done before, but in the same work place and I was a nervous wreck , thanks to my previous position. On my first day I was so sick with anxiety and unable to cope I had to be taken home. The next day I went to see the doctor for a prescription and he wouldn´t give me anything so I went back to my second day feeling like you know what, then went to see my own doctor , who knew me and what I was normally like and he gave me a prescription, unfortunately it didnt suite me and really jacked up the anxiety, but I still went into work. So I know how your are feeling Ruby, but like me you are sticking it out and that has to be applauded. well done you. As everyone else is telling you, stick with it and you will feel better, if you decide the place is not for you , you ca always look for something else.
    The main thing is to keep going and thats what you are doing. Hope you settle very soon and meet some nice people to be friends with xx

We then went through a merge and everything changed, I was essentially demoted, half the company left and the new company was awful and treated employees badly.
    This time it seems different Ruby. Your old place is not the same anymore and you would probably regret it if you ever went back there. It takes a while to settle in to a new place. Just take it a day at a time and do your best. Try to make friends with as many of your colleagues as possible. Join in anything you can to get to know them. After a while you'll be suprised how long you've been there and how much more settled you have become!

Oh poor you, must be awful feeling anxious and people not being friendly, I'm sure once you get to know them and they know you things will get better, I know how it feels to be the newbie and not know anyone or anything but hang on in there and I'm sure you'll soon love it, good luck x

Just realised you started today! Hope it's going ok, let me know how you got on x
    Well no surprise it wasn't half as bad as i had anticipated it to be. My colleagues were nice and helpful. However there's an opportunity at the moment for a full time job in another department so I've emailed my interest as really I didn't want to work on weekends but it was all that was available at the time. So now the same feelings are back

I'm panicking about if I'll have to have another interview with them again, and now I'm thinking if I was to get the job then would those people be as nice at that department. Anxiety is just a vicious cycle isn't it!

How are things going with you? X

Thanks for all your comments. It does feel different this time as I know what I left behind wasn't great but I also still miss working with my fun friends terribly! It's almost like pining for them haha.

Glad your first day wasn't as bad as you thought Leah. I still feel very unsettled and questioning my decision but the anxiety isn't completely debilitating right now so that's progress!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information