Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: problems with my throat

Hi Kate, hi Nicola

Im really sorry that you guys seem to be suffering in pretty much the same way i am. I seem to find no relief from it. Do you? I try and distract myself but my mind is too powerful and i never seem to be able to forget it. Its there from the moment i wake up. The doctor has said he thinks i may have a really sore throat due to reflux so at least he is agreeing that i do have some actual physical symptoms. Do you guys ever just want to scream? (not that our throats would probably allow it!). Sometimes when something makes me laugh i end up gagging as my throat just cant take it. No that i find much to laugh about at the moment...[V]
    Do you have supportive partners/family? I think thats so important but you do get to a point where you think 'i cant keep going on about this, they are going ot get so fed up with me' My partner is fantastic but i do wonder if im pushing my luck sometimes. Im off work again today (had nearly 3 months off now) with feeling so tired, neck ache etc etc ETC!!! I have tried to go to work but i find it so hard. I only work mornings as it is! I wish you both really good days. Be strong and lets nail this sucker!!!.....lol.....

Hi there!

My mind is also too powerful! I struggle to distract myself..... and even if I manage for a little while I then end up getting upset as I can't stand what is happening! So even when I do feel happy it comes crashing down :(

Sorry to be so negative, I have just had a bad few days! my breathing also got worse and I felt like I had to force myself to breath, which made me panic even more......

Luckily I have a very supportive hubbie but I do feel bad as we are newly married and I don't think this is what he had in mind! I am glad you have someone supportive. I am working full time but had to take ages of work when it all started and even now I struggle through each day.

Anyway, I hope you are okay and managing? I also have some physical symptoms which makes it even harder. Just when I think it is all anxiety something physical will happen and I think no!!! there is something seriously wrong.

Thanks for listening and I hope your day goes well.

Hi Kate..im newly married too!! June 24th. What about you?
    Im really sorry to hear that you have been having a few rough days. I have had the breathing thing but i dont think as badly as you. Have you any idea where this has come from or has it just manifested itself? What ways do you calm yourself down or do you just have to sit it out and let it pass? Would it help to discuss the other physical symptoms you have? I am the same as you and when i have a chink of light then a physical thing will happen and its 'oh i KNEW it was real..thats just proved it' Maybe if we discussed the other things we feel then we might be able to help each other put them into scale. Some good news is that i have woken up this morning and seem to be swallowing ok. I have slight earache and chest pain but my throat doesnt feel too bad! so thats good news for us all. It shows that it can go (i know it will probably come back but for now its good)...so is there anything thats better for you today than say yesterday? Try to enjoy your day and your new husband xx

Hi Ballandalloch,

Congrats on your marriage! I got married on the 22nd December last year so not as newly married as you!

The breathing thing started permanently when I had an allergic reaction. Previously I had it on and off but it didn't really bother me. I keep telling myself that it is all in my head but then I really struggle to catch my breath and start coughing like mad! I think it is caused my the anxiety and the reflux makes it worse.......

What other physical symptoms do you have? do you have an ache in your chest when your throat is at its worst?

I am so glad to hear you are feeling better, I am crossing my fingers for you that it continues, but your right even if it does come back at least you know that things can and will get better. Hopefully soon the good days will take over the number of bad days.

When did it start for you and was there a trigger? plus are you taking anything for your reflux? its a vicious circle cos anxiety aggravates reflux and then the reflux aggravates the anxiety.

Anyway I hope all is well and you are doing okay? I am determined to have a good day today lol.... Thanks for your message it made me feel better.

ooooooh I am cross!! i just spent ten minutes replying to you and then tried to post it and realised i hadnt signed in and it kicked me out without saving what i had written. Grrr!!
    Have you had a good day?
    I was saying that i can totally understand why you would have issues with breathing if you have had an allergic reaction. Thats not nice.
    Mine started with pains in my chest, severe pains, during the night. Thought it was a heart attack, turned out to be reflux. Given me the jitters ever since. I have many sypmtoms now but the main ones are my throat and chest.
    For acid reflux i take Lanzeperole (sort of spelling!). I was on homeopathic but my throat got worse so my doctor said to go back on them as he felt acid was being sprayed into my throat and burning it. I think it may have improved since i went back on it but at times it hard to tell.
    You are not in England are you? How do you find the medical treatment? Probably better than over here... tho my doctor has been very kind and patient i must say but when you are in pain, constant pain, its not always easy to accept that it is simply anxiety causing it. I seem to cry every time i see him.
    I find my chest hurts more when my throat is bad yes. Do you have problems eating? I seem to be able to get it down me but i have been strictly following a no acid diet to ease the reflux so its all been very dull but if it helps...well heck you'll do it wont you? Do you find different foods hinder or help?
    I have booked in with a homeopath, a masseur, the ENT consultant and a body psychologist!! im leaving no stone unturned. Im determined to get rid of this.
    How did you get on with your wedding day? As mine was only a few weeks ago, it all passed in a bit of a blur and i had to grin and bear it while everybody else had a super time! Did you enjoy yours or did nerves make it even worse for you?
    Bye for now
    Kate.

When i was convinced i had bowel cancer (turned out it was ibs) i got jabbing pains in my bum, sorry to sound crass, but to be honest, once i went to the hospital appointment, and was told i didnt have bowel cancer, those jabbing pains stopped. Ive had jabbing pains in every part of the body since then (that was 12 yrs ago)
    Anxiety.
    xxxxxxxxxx

Pete to win Big Brother 7

Hi there Kate!

I hate it when that happens!!! you spend ages typing then realise you have not signed in and it all disappears!!

Sorry to hear about your reflux :( have you looked in to something called laryngopharyngeal reflux? that is when the reflux is so bad that it is giving you a bad throat..... treatment is slightly different to normal reflux. I am also following a really bland diet! sometimes I would kill for a glass of wine lol....... I find alcohol and tea make it much worse. It sometimes gets to the point where I don't want to eat as I am scared.

I am in Dubai at the moment and medical care here is pretty good and I am lucky as I have private insurance through my company. I am the same as you when I go to the doctors!! I normally end up in tears cos I feel so awful and there does not seem to be a solution.

I am also leaving no stone un turned..... I was even referred to an endocrinologist!!!! I think I would give everything I own to be back to how I used to be.

Sorry to hear about your wedding day, I hope you were feeling okay on the day? and not having too much of a bad day? mine also passed in a bit of a blur, I was so nervous!!!!

Take care and I hope you are doing well.

You are not alone ..

MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!!
    Swallowing / throat problems / Being strangled!
    What has suddenly changed, feel awful!
    Really frightend of Swallowing,
    A strange one, anyone else experienced similar??
    throat !!!
    Strange Lump in Throat
    Throat, improvements, questions
    Problems with eating and Swallowing,
    update on throat problems
    Swallowing fear
    Horrible Throat Feelings!
    Finally admitted what the problem is!
    Another scared one
    Strange symptom that comes with anxiety
    Swallowing / throat problems / Being strangled!
    swallowing difficulties associated with panic?
    Globus Hystericus??? (not so hysterical)
    Made It Through
    Throat problem(another one sorry).
    Some Progress..Yipee!

Essentially its useful to prove to yourself it is anxiety related by visting your doctor and maybe having an endoscopy if they feel it warants it and possibly either talking some valium (muscle relaxant) or alcohol as a muscle relaxant too. If it relieves it then you can take it that its an anxious response and then you have to learn to ignore it and it will subside as your overall fear levels fall.

Ice cubes, anaethetizing cough lozenges, strong mints can all help relieve it.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Thanks Meg for the links and info. I am booked in for an endoscopy.
    Kate I looked up laryngopharyngeal reflux and that seems to fit my symptoms more so than the other reflux problem. The tablets really seem to be helping now. I just ate a roll a bit too quickly and it scratched my throat so i can tell that it is still quite sore down there but hopefully getting better by the day.
    Now what does an endocrinologist do exactly? I know somebody with suspected hyper thyroid who has to see one so im not sure how it all fits in?
    Do you get tired with all this? I know i do. I have no energy. I have just got home from work and im looking about the place thinking 'urgh..im too tired to sort it all'.
    What relaxing things do you do? (if you can find any) I know its hard to switch the brain off when you are caught up with all this anxiety.
    Anyway i hope your day is lovely (i guess its always sunny where you are...lucky lucky) and you are feeling in control.
    You hit a note with me when you said you would give anything to feel how you used to. That was so sad and i do know how you are feeling. BUT i have had some good days and therefore so can you too. I wish you lots of them and im sending positive thoughts your way right NOW...!! Bye for now. Kate.

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the positive vibes! much appreciated I can normally be okay for a while but it gets to a point each month and I have a bad few days, hopefully I am coming out of it now!

I so glad you are doing better, hopefully you are on the road to full recovery, it can take a while for the tablets to fully sort the problem and for your throat to recover, when are you having your endoscopy?

I'm jealous of the weather in the UK!!! its nearly 50 here with 80% humidity!! I can't remember the last time I saw some rain lol.

The funny thing is I got refered to an endercrinolgist as they thought maybe I had a thyroid problem as there was minor swelling around my neck. Turns out no thyroid problem but I have an adrenal problem, they did an ADTH test and I didn't respond!!! My doc want to check me in to the hospital for further tests tomorrow!!! I felt like saying to him I don't give a damn about my adrenal just fix my throat LOL.

I am so tired!I think our minds are working overtime to deal with all and it is impossible to relax! I keep trying to distract myself by reading. I think I am averaging about 20 books a week! turning in to a bit of a book worm [8D]

I hope you are having a great day and thanks for the support! it helps to know I am not the only one with this problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information