Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abnormal smear! Scared!

Abnormal smear! Scared!

Hello,

I had an abnormal smear test result today and im so scared.
    I just cant think straight and wanted to post on here as I thought people could really understand my anxieties here.Ive spoken to a close friend about it today, she was lovely and tried to reassure me but unless you live with health anxieties you cant really understand the fear, ive felt pain in my lower back and stomach all day today, usually i eventually convince myself its down to my anxieties and stress but they are just magnified today!

This is my biggest health worry because my mother died of cervical cancer and her mother my grandmother also had it but my grandmother was luckily cured.
    This is like my worst fear coming to life and the thoughts "beginning of the end" keep running through my head, I feel I just cant cope with this, I just don’t know what to do anymore.

Im trying so hard to look at the positives here such as they found borderline changes that could return to normal but I find this hard to accept with my family history, I just know eventually I will get it and now this is happening, its like the inevitable has finally happened.

I just want to have a hysterectomy to reduce my chances, I have two beautiful children already and couldn’t ask for anymore, maybe this is the option for me otherwise I will always be living in fear of developing cancer.

I’m so scared right now I just don’t know how im going to cope, im sorry to moan but I just feel so weak, scared and helpless at the moment.
    I wonder if there is any point in trying to beat this panic and anxiety that i have to live with everyday now ive had this result.
    Im so sorry for being so negative!

Caz x

It is so understandable how you feel - even without health anxiety, anyone in your shoes would be worrying.

HOWEVER, try to be positive - they are only borderline changes and this is really common; as you say, they could return to normal and whatever happens, now this has been picked up, things will not be left to advance.

Have you spoken with your GP? I think normally they just suggest a recall in 6 months for borderline smears, but you can't put yourself through a 6 months wait! You really need to speak to someone as soon as possible to find out what happens next, what your options are, etc.

I so feel for you, this is exactly the thing that all of us fear happening, and you are perfectly normal in the way that you are feeling. I'm sorry I can't do anything constructive to help but if you want to chat or anything, I'm always around!

Take care,
    Caroline xx

Hi ya Caz,
    i know its hard to do but you got to try and think positive. not only for your own sake but for your two children. it might not be anything bad. have they given you a nother appointment? it maybe just a mix up with the results. dont give up, you cant let the anxiety beat you, sweetheart.
    you'll be ok.
    take care
    love
    twiglet

Hi, do not worry.

My wife went last month, her results were abnormal.

My wife was worried and went back for a chat.

They said not to worry as next time they could be normal.

They do not take it serious until they do the test three times.

Caz,

All us women would feel as you do at the moment but the test is there to pick up possible abnormal cells as quick as poss so that something can be done.

I have had at least 5 friends in the past 10 years have abnormal smears and all felt just as you do and all have gone on to be fine. A couple even had some minor treatment and are now just fine. In some ways whilst its obviously a good thing that the slightest possible potential problem is picked up it does create an unecessary degree of anxiety. Sometimes a test can even be 'off' because of the conditions it was taken under or the way it was stored were compromised.

I would tell your doctor exactly how you are feeling so they can either do a second test for you and moniter you in such a way as to lessen the anxiety of it.

I think a few of my friends had them done 3-6 monthly and one friend only ever had the one abnormal test before returning to normal.

Big hugs.

Piglet x

hi hun i just want to reasure you on this one i had my first obnormal smear test when i was 22 i am now 41 i remember my doctor telling me i had cancer cells which was borderline you could imagine how i took that news at 22 my whole world came crushing down anyway i was sent to have lazer treatment which is very painless iwas so amased to find the waiting room so packed with women with the same problem the funny thing was my next door neighbour was there waiting to go in i asked her why didnt she tell me she was goin there she looked at me and said i could ask you the same we both laughed and said its something u dont go tellin the neighbours about.anyway hun ive had it three times now and honestly there is nothink to get yourself worked up about please trust me you will be very suprised how many of us have an obnormal smear.i dont want to bore you but my sisterenlaw had her smear results
    she wouldnt listen to me she new best and of course hers had to be worse she had the big c but of course she.s fine so hun please dont worry you,ll be fine honest feel free to ask me any questions love tamla

t motown

hi caz

i have had problems with my smears for 9 years every time i got one done it came back with no result they couldnt get cells etc.
    then they sent me to a clinic were they did tests and sead i had cin 1 firs stages of cells going wrong anyway as they were looking he just burnt them away and that was that he told me not to wory and i had a test don 6 months it was fine and then another 6 months and agane that was fine i am going in a few weeks for a follow up so i do know how your feeling but i am sure everything will be ok its your anxiety that is the hard bit as it makes us blow things up to be worse than they are .

pm me if you need to love jodie x

Hi there
    Please try not to worry, abnormal smears are so common. I had one about 5 years ago and ended up having the cells removed. I now have a smear annually, though I think after this year I go back to every 3 years. Chances are your cells will revert to normal, if not they can be removed quickly and easily and you shouldn't have any problems again.
    Take care
    love Helen

Hi again,

Thank you to everybody for your kind words! You're all so great!

I had a long chat with a good friend this evening and we wrote down all the positives ive really got to try and focus on these.

If there are any problems then hopefully they've been found early enough to be treated successfully, Ive a few friends who have had abnormal smears, one of them had some laser treatment after they found some cancer cells and she is just fine now because they found it early enough, its just my family history and the pains i feel that keep playing on my mind......but must remember the positives!

Im hoping to see my GP tomorrow, i have to wait six months until another smear to find out (fingers crossed) if the cells have returned to normal, its just such a long wait ill have a chat with my doc tomorrow and see what she advices!

Thanks everybody, i really do appreciate your understanding and help!

Caz x

hi caz i can totally sympathise with you im waiting for a smear result at the minute and the wait is making me more anxious, but like everyone has said the abnormal cells have been found in good time and in 6 months may have reverted to normal otherwise you will get treated so dont worry...do you know what i honestley think we give ourselves aches and pains in areas we are worried about, as i have been achey in that area for weeks now cos im worrying...
    take care you will be fine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information