Thread: How low is too low for your heart rate?

How low is too low for your heart rate?

Hello. I was prescribed 40mg twice daily propranolol for anxiety and it seemed to be working but by day 4 I was feeling really spacey and tired but not sleeping well. I went to the doctor and my heart rate was 50. She suggested stopping the propranolol or taking a smaller dose if needed. Does anyone know how much my heart rate might drop on a lesser dose? If it does drop temporarily while I try to get over my anxious 'blip' will this cause me the same problems as on the higher dose? My doctor didn't suggest an alternative medication. Is it a bit weird that I am an anxiety sufferer with fairly low blood pressure and heart rate?! Is there an alternative medication which might not lower my heart rate too much? Any advice would be much appreciated. x

Re: How low is too low for your heart rate?

Hi, It's impossible to predict how you will react to a lower dose of Propanolol, one factor is what your normal heart rate is - my resting heart rate is 80 and I take 40mg Propanolol daily and it takes it down to 60 and I feel fine. I have taken 40mg, 3 times a day and felt OK - just a bit tired. You may be more sensitive than me though if it's dropping to 50, I would suggest trying just one a day. All the beta blockers will lower your pulse rate and are good if you suffer with palpitations but not so good for the mental/emotional symptoms of anxiety when an antidepressent is far better.
    Hope this helps x

Re: How low is too low for your heart rate?

Very fit people have lower heart rates.
    Mine can be in the 40bpm rage in the early morning right after I wake up, it can also go up to 230bpm
    I would try taking the lower dosage, for average people 50 is considered too low.
    If it doesn't work out I am sure your doctor will help you find something that works for you.
    The doctor seems to be helpful which is always a plus

Thread Information