Thread: New to this forum

New to this forum

Hi

I am 43 year old female and have suffered from GAD for over two years. I initially was unsure what was wrong with me, thinking I was going insane or seriously ill. My GP was sympathetic and prescribed me with mirtazapine, I took them for a few months but for me they made me feel very uneasy and paranoid so I weaned myself off them. I had BUPA cover so GP thought CBT would be next step. I am still seeing a psychologist and find it helpful. During the two years I suffered from really extreme physical symptoms which I now know are anxiety but it's so scary and even now with help I have health anxiety, I feel every day something is wrong with me, from sore throat to palpitations. I am feeling better than I was though so onwards and upwards. The CBT really helps, just talking to someone who doesn't think your crazy, and the reassurance that they have heard all the symptoms before with other patients.

Hi marion3

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: New to this forum

Hey Marion3,

I hope you get some reassurance here at NMP regarding your anxiety symptoms and also make some new friends.

BobbyDog

Hi Marion, I too suffer with health anxiety. Always at the doctors. Went tonight and am having a blood test!!

Hope you get the help you need through this horrid time xx

Hi I'm ronno, I've suffered from anxiety since the mid 80s after a trauma [ my nephew who had a drink problem had his first fit in frount of me ] after weeks of constant panic attacks and the dr telling me he didn't understand my symptoms I saw our old family dr who explained what was wrong and suggested I read " Claire weekes. Self help for your nerves " [ my bible ] over the years I managed every so often dipping into the book . Then 7 years ago happy , relaxed , perfect job as a manager my wife of 34 years of marriage developed lymphoma , my world caved in , I left my job took another where I could take more time off every two weeks chemo. Ect. She constantly sick , tired I had to force her to eat and battle on which she did bravely . On my 50th birthday I sat alone watching her sleep . After six months it was over and now getting back to normality ,but at a cost ,my anxeity was back along with optic migraines , slow heart rate 50 beats , regular missed beats , I was checked out ,wore a 24 hour monitor , all ok and told not to worry about the missed beats , the optic migraines come with stress but I fear them but I know they are harmless , I found no more panic by accident and been a visiter for a few years .[ what a find ] and the site is place of safety for me and so many others , so that's the short story , sorry for its length

Hi Marion. I too suffer gad and have for probably about 20 years. I have had cbt, didn't really find it helpful in the long term. This site has given me done where to run to, which at the min is a godsend. Hope it helps you too zx

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Ronni that's the second time u have heard that book mentioned today, think I need to get it. I am currently reading at last a life by Paul David. I find it very helpful x

I would also recommend the Claire Weekes book, very straightforward and simply written but really helpful, the first time I had a bad one it helped explain a lot about what was happening and why, in fact thanks for reminding me, I need to read it again.

Thread Information