Thread: Diazepam Guilt

Diazepam Guilt

I have diazepam to take on an 'as and when' basis, as I've mentioned before.

The thing is, I tend to take it when I'm having problems sleeping. This week, all of my family are on holiday and I'm in work tomorrow morning (my working week starts Wednesday). Of course, I'm now worried about:

1. Being on my own in the house at night.
    2. Work in the morning / being punctual / getting everything right
    3. Not getting to sleep because of the first two things.

All of which I fear will keep me up tonight fretting. But I always feel so guilty taking any diazepam and I can't explain why, especially when it's a preemptive strike like tonight to guarantee myself some decent kip.

I don't even know what I want people to say in response to this. I just needed to get it out there how frustrated I am at myself for feeling this way.

Re: Diazepam Guilt

Anything that helps you cope should not cause guilt.....only you know if you can manage tonight without it.... But if you need it to sleep, then don't deny yourself the relief it will give you.

I must admit I am the same but sometimes when I really can't get to sleep I think "should I or shouldn't I" daft because I know they are a low dose and taking one won't harm me...I do end up taking one though if I know it is going to be a bad night.

I'm pleased you posted this, because I thought it was just me! I have an 'as and when' Diazepam prescription also, and have been using it on and off recently for the worst days during my dad's admission to hospital. I did/do feel guilty taking a tablet though - like my mind is saying "You've managed all these years without meds, how could you give in now?" or "Do you know how much these are costing?!" (lol). Like Stormsky said though, I don't think we should be denying ourselves the very real relief that they provide because we feel that we're somehow letting ourselves down or something. I don't think that allowing yourself to feel relaxed is letting yourself down.

Thanks for the reassurance, Stormsky.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets that odd sense of resistance to something helpful, Annie. Anxiety is quite a beast!

Ellie-Kay - oh, gosh, I hope things are going alright with your dad. >_< Yes it's a strange feeling, to get guilt about something that will help, isn't it (I hope you know you're more than worth the cost of the tablets! )?

Quote Originally Posted by Carina View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance, Stormsky.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets that odd sense of resistance to something helpful, Annie. Anxiety is quite a beast!

Ellie-Kay - oh, gosh, I hope things are going alright with your dad. >_< Yes it's a strange feeling, to get guilt about something that will help, isn't it (I hope you know you're more than worth the cost of the tablets! )?
    No-one has put it like that before I suppose my feeling of wellbeing is worth more to me than a few ££ on a prescription. I have Scottish and Yorkshire lineage though, so I'm always watching the purse strings!

Hi There

It is so nice to read that I'm not the only one who feels like this
    I have been prescribed diazepan as and when required and always feel so guilty (like I have failed in my coping strategies if that makes sense) when I take it
    I have taken one tonight as my 16 year old son has just dropped a bombshell!!
    Thanks for this thread

i do exactly the same... i don't take it unless i've missed 2 nights sleep in a row, plus i've also found a herbal sleep remedy which i use in the same way...

i don't think there's anything wrong in reaching for something when we need it, that's what it's there for - and sometimes just knowing you have it in the house is reassuring in itself.

hope you have a good night's sleep

Thread Information