Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zyprexa, The anxiety killer but at a price

Zyprexa, The anxiety killer but at a price

Hey,

I thought I would write a small post about my experiences with a medication which does not have a section on the forums or from what I can find is not mentioned very often.

This medication is called Olanzapine or Zyprexa, first it is a anti-psychotic and mood stabilizer and is also classed as a major tranquillizer. These are some scary words but they have little meaning to the anxiety sufferer apart from the last one.

Here is my experience. I was diagnosed with GAD almost 2 years ago, after suffering for 1 year while on 75mg effexor I developed depression. My depression would be massive mood swings, from feeling normal to total despair in less than an hour, It became chronic.

My then psychiatrists decided I should try Zyprexa, She said "Not only does it balance mood but it helps you relax and focus, many cancer patients are given it to help them cope" , I was resistant at first and the pills sat in my kitchen cupboard for weeks until one night after triggering a massive anxiety attack and not wanting to have a horrible sleepless night full of worry and fear I took my first dose.

Within 2 hours I was sound asleep, I awoke the next day feeling a little groggy but relaxed, calm and not a single hint of anxiety and this was on the lowest dose of 2.5mg. As the weeks went on the sleepiness after taking the pill faded but the effect on my anxiety remained, from constant shaking, never sleeping, mind racing, vomiting and being hospitalized twice to calm and focused but with massive increase in my appetite.

After three months on Zyprexa a weighed myself, I was shocked to see that I was 16 stone! I had never been above 14 and although I had a larger appetite than normal I couldn't see how I could put so much weight on. After some research I found out Zyprexa causes weight gain for several reasons, this of course can vary from person to person but you will always put on weight regardless of dose.

They're is a strong connection between Zyprexa and diabetes as well and Lilly have recently been sued for not making the public aware of this side effect.

I am now trying to quit this medication but like many drugs related to mental illness there is a withdrawal which can be very nasty.

If anxiety has completely destroyed your life and you have exhausted every avenue and nothing has helped and you feel that you life is over and to be ruled by anxiety then this medication could be your answer but the cost of taking it is something you must consider strongly, Once you're on this medication you may be dependant on it but that is not always a bad thing if you think that many people are dependant on a medication with many affliction to improve their quality of life.

I hope someone finds this useful.

/Lleksam
    Last edited by lleksam; 27-09-12 at 22:16.
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Re: Zyprexa, The anxiety killer but at a price

I am on 20mg of this stuff and I happen to think that it needs a sub section on this forum. I was given this drug for extreme Paranoia due to anxiety and I find that it relieves my fears. I know that it is given to patients with Bi-polar, but I don't have that.

I think I am bipolar as since I have stopped taking the medication my moods are terrible.

This medication will stop your anxiety.

Have you gained much weight on such a high dose?
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_1980 View Post
    I am on 20mg of this stuff and I happen to think that it needs a sub section on this forum. I was given this drug for extreme Paranoia due to anxiety and I find that it relieves my fears. I know that it is given to patients with Bi-polar, but I don't have that.
    I will look into creating a new sub-forum for it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I will look into creating a new sub-forum for it.
    Thanks you, I would appreciate that. I was looking myself today for a sub section. I think it would help a lot of people like myself who are on this drug.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lleksam View Post
    I think I am bipolar as since I have stopped taking the medication my moods are terrible.

This medication will stop your anxiety.

Have you gained much weight on such a high dose?
    I haven't gained any weight since on this drug because my anxiety is so high, but I do find that taking the med at night does make me want to get up and eat all night. I resist, but I can understand you wanting to eat. I seriously don't know if I am bi polar yet, but I have the feeling that I might be. The mood swings that I suffer can be extreme.

Olanzapine is giving me my life back, I too was a chronic GAD patient in the UK and after miserable years of being mis-diagnosed it turns out that all the medications I was on were exacerbating my pre-exsisting Bi-Polar mood disorder. I take 15mg at night and admittedly it helps get me off to sleep but by the morning I feel it wears off a lot, I can't seem to get them to change the dose so that I can take some in the day as well when i feel like I need it most! hope all you mood swingers are doing well!

Hi my doctor has has mentioned olanzapine for my severe PTSD. This has become criping for me now don't often leave the house also have complex OCD. Scared of the weight gain aspect I believe it slows the metabolism . Anyone on it not gained weight ? Also brain damage is listed as a side effect doc said will only be 5 mg .

hi I have not gained weight, have been taking it for over a year at 2.5 or 5mg depending on how I feel. It has been a great med for me. Don't be put off by side effects that might not affect you. I was so worried that I would gain weight but this hasn't happened and the med has had a great effect on stabilising me, I was diagnosed bipolar type 2 after years of mixed moods, mostly depression. I hope you get better x

I take 5mg at night it really is a calming drug and helps you sleep without feeling groggy the next day,i have put on over a stone taking it though.Other than that i dont get any other side effects

I m afraid to take it! Why the doctor tell me to take it? I don t have troubles to sleep, im not bipolar, i just have a lot anxiety! I don t understand

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information