Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zyprexa, The anxiety killer but at a price

Re: Zyprexa, The anxiety killer but at a price

You might not gain weight, I have been on it over 2 years and haven't put weight on. It has been so good for anxiety and sleep. I wish you all the best

Hi there,

I've taken Zyprexa for over ten years - and when managed it can relieve symptoms. Weight gain is an unavoidable side effect on a high dose, as it causes an intense feeling / craving for food. Sleep cycle also increased by several hours per day.

The point I'd like to make, is that fluctations in dose or missing doses, then finding yourself back on the medication increases the side-effects of extreme fatigue and weight gain. Sticking on the medication, at a regular dose seems to alleviate the side effects - though avoid alcohol, as it increases droziness.

After a long period, of years stabilised on 5mg - I shifted to 2.5mg. This was the minimum dose I found balanced the symptoms and illness - taking the edge of the anxiety and preventing pychosis relapse. A certain level of anxiety is still present, but I've learned to manage this through better organisation and coping strategies.

So on the whole, I'd say keep on the medication - and very gradually reduce the dose, if the weight / droziness becomes more detrimental to life than the illness. Family / doctors are the best judge for that however.

Chris (:

This medicine is the best sleep aid I have found. I tried Ambien and it made me crazy. I can sleep with Zyprexa and wake up the next morning with no side effects. I just have to make sure I take it early in the evening. If I take it too late, it will make me groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the reports I have heard, it doesn't effect my weight at all.

Hello everyone im new here... my name is Jeff.

I have severe PTSD and Extreme paranoia due to anxiety I believe this medication is helping with that. Im on 5mg of Zyprexa at night.

Im also on cipralex and trazodone at night 20mg and 50mg.

Also on Gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day and 0.5 clonazepam twice a day when needed for GAD and anxiety.

A psych also mentioned to add abilify but i believe this is not nessacery. What do you guys think. I dont want to over medicate as i believe im already on a lot of meds as it is.

I Had a poor upbringing... crappy old school immigrant parents who dont believe in medicine and would abuse me physically and mentally. Im living on my own now for the first time and its taking some getting used too.

Could really use your advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffstar View Post
    Hello everyone im new here... my name is Jeff.

I have severe PTSD and Extreme paranoia due to anxiety I believe this medication is helping with that. Im on 5mg of Zyprexa at night.

Im also on cipralex and trazodone at night 20mg and 50mg.

Also on Gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day and 0.5 clonazepam twice a day when needed for GAD and anxiety.

A psych also mentioned to add abilify but i believe this is not nessacery. What do you guys think. I dont want to over medicate as i believe im already on a lot of meds as it is.

I Had a poor upbringing... crappy old school immigrant parents who dont believe in medicine and would abuse me physically and mentally. Im living on my own now for the first time and its taking some getting used too.

Could really use your advice. Thanks.
    you have had some bad luck in your life you have a right to feel ill.when you think your meds are working stay on that level/ we all chase the golden dragon but a lot get bitten by him for going too far. good luck my friend

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information