Thread: Anyone else embarrased about anxiety episodes?

Anyone else embarrased about anxiety episodes?

Hi all,
    Been away for a long time and so pleased to say I am feeling much better these days, about a two years on from the worst of it.
    I still get the bouts of anxiety and panic, but they are much less frequent and intense.
    But does anyone else feel embarrased about how they have acted at the worst of it? I keep thinking about when i would have to walk out of work hyperventilating and crying numerous times a week and pray no one still thinks about it :/.
    I want to be celebrating my success but keep thinking about this!!
    eurgh the undignified nature of the panic disorder!

Re: Anyone else embarrased about anxiety episodes?

Your in a different place now, don't dwell on the past.
    The only reason you feel embarrassment is because your recovering, and without Anx you can think more clearly and rationally... In the midst of the worst times, we can't control all the symptoms and feelings so well...
    You looking back with a clearer head now, and you know you wouldn't react that way now, but that's because your better now... Back then the Anx was in control... So no need for embarrassment at all.

I think that worrying what people think of us is one of the things that keeps us in the grips of anxiety. Let it go and try not to worry about this. It sounds like you are doing really well and have made amazing progress!

If a person was physically ill and sobbing in pain you wouldn't think bad of them would you? The same is true of mental distress - it comes with the territory and is nothing to be ashamed of

There is a great quote by Deepak Chopra "What other people think of you is none of your business". This is a great way to think and not get bogged down or overly concerned about how others see us
    Last edited by Serenitie; 01-10-12 at 03:06.

I always feel uncomfortable about past episodes even though I am so much better now. I have changed jobs since then and wouldn't dream about telling my current employer. Wish I could take Serenities quote on board, but I still can't help feeling a bit of a freak. I think a lot depends on the atitudes of those around you. My current colleagues are more sympathetic to others generally, so actually I wouldn't feel as bad about it amongst them, their kindness though lowers my anxiety so makes future problems less likely anyway.

The way I look at it is that If your colleagues are nice people then I wouldn't worry too much - they will be genuinely pleased for you about your progress and if they are a bunch of ******** then the ignorant so and sos don't matter anyway!

Tyke

No i do not feel embarrased the same as i would not be embarrased if i had any other illness.

I think others are more embarrased as they do not know how to handle MH problems sadly.

Thread Information