Thread: Need serious urgent advice.

Need serious urgent advice.

This isnt about me, this is about my mum, who most of you know is the same as me ,housebound.
    About 4 years ago mum hit a point where she was really bad, a friend had cut her hair and it went wrong and it had to be shaven off, this hit her bad. she was a nervous wreck, so the dr put her on medication called stelazine {trifluoperazine}. He told her she couldnt stay on them long and he left, she was happy. for a while. Anyway, that was 4 years ago. Just before christmas last year she asked for a change in medication, the dr said not unless you come down to surgery, she refused to go, housebound and all.
    Now ive been doing some research on this drug, only to find its not an anti-anxiety drug, its an antipsychotic drug. i came across a site that says because of its calming affects it can be used in anxiety treatment for a max of 4 weeks. 4 WEEKS!!! thats a hell of a differance than 4 YEARS!!!
    There was also an article on the page saying that if used over a long period it can CAUSE psychotic affects. now mum has recently got a habit of sticking her tounge out, i noticed it about 2 years ago, and what do you know, its an effect from the drug.
    I found this
    ***If you take antipsychotic drugs for months or years, you risk getting a more serious muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia. People with this condition lose control of their arms and legs, and may writhe around. It can also affect the face and tongue. People who get tardive dyskinesia may pull faces, stick their tongue out a lot, smack their lips and blink rapidly. The risk of getting this disorder seems to be higher if you keep stopping and starting the drug.3 This side effect is rare with trifluoperazine, but you should discuss the risks with your doctor before starting treatment****
    Now im freaking for her, shes in a RIGHT MESS. i dont know what to do, she doesnt, this is an panic sufferers worse nightmare. where do i turn? this dr has no right to do this.
    Becci x

Hi Becci,

I'm so sorry for what you are going through right now for both you and your mother. I don't quite understand why the doctor would not wean her off the drugs without her having to go into surgery but maybe that is because I'm from the USA.

My suggestion would be for you to try to get her another doctor and to get her weaned off this drug immediately. From what I have heard from others can't you have a doctor come to the house? If not, possibly they could tell you how to wean her off this medication over the phone. I would definately tell them of what you now know and what she is doing. If at all possible though I think she needs to be seen by some professional as she probably might need to be on a regular anti-depressant after all of this as she is housebound and that may help her eventually to get her out of the house, I just don't know. I would also try CBT and counseling too. Hope this helps.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

On Monday mate I would get your mum to phone her doctor and explain your findings and see what they have to say, they should be able to do this over the phone.

There is a post I have done (it's still a sticky so will be easy to find) under the medications forum. It gives an advice line for all the tablets used in mental health issues. You could also give them a ring on Monday and see what they say.

Love Piglet xx

thanks guys,
    Ive told mum to call the dr monday, but shes being quite stubborn, she wants to cut down on them herself and has already done so over a year or so, i dont know mg and stuff but she was on 6 tablets {theyre really small} 3 times a day, then she cut to 4, then 3 adnd now shes on 2 tabs 3 times a day and has now started getting constipation since she cut down again 3 days ago. I have told her to not start a withdrawl without medical supervision, but she wont listen, i dont know much bout medication, but i know that it could be serious? I dont want anything to happen to her, but she wont listen and with me having a huge fear of calling dr's {no idea why!} im struggling to call the dr for her.
    Becci x

Thread Information