Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't stop thinking about death and the purpose of life

Can't stop thinking about death and the purpose of life

Hi,

I am really after some advise if anyone can help as I can't seem to stop thinking about death all of the time and questioning why we are here and what is the purpose of life if we just die one day. It is really getting me down and taking over my life. I no longer enjoy doing things that I used to and I struggle to interact with people and find myself just snapping and getting angry at the smallest thing. I try my hardest to just push the thoughts away but they are always there, even in my sleep.

It does not help that I work a very stressful job, often working 10 days straight before I get a day off. My mind is constantly racing and I am mentally and phsyically exhausted all of the time. I am distancing myself more and more from my friends and recently split up from my partner partially due to my being tired and snappy all of the time.

Would you class this as depression? I am reluctant to get help if it is as I know how judgemental people can be, especially my family! I just feel that my life is spiralling more and more out of control and I'm scared of what the consequences may be.

Re: Can't stop thinking about death and the purpose of life

Hey, i think about this alot too. It effects my life aswell becausei spend far too much time thinking about it. It's just over-thinking wich is what alot of people with anxiety do. I don't know what advice to give you other than try to distract yourself and do things that take your mind off it.

It's a hard thing to deal with, i know, because there don't seem to be real answers, so you keep going over it trying to figure everything out wich is useless and doesn't really get you anywere. Try to have faith that you do have a purpose. Good luck.

I think about those things all the time. Sometimes I just feel it's useless to try and have "successful" life. Why bother doing this or that when it'll end sooner or later. When I'm in this mood, nothing makes sense. I'm far from suicidal though, death terrifies me. But it's as if life is a lame game and you can't win.

I think different people have different beliefs on this one. I like to think that there is an afterlife and that we will see our loved ones again after we die but I don't know if my beliefs are right or not.

Thank you for the advice everyone. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who thinks like this.

I do try to have faith. I did once believe in an afterlife, however over the years it just seems to feel more unrealistic, but then again this whole word is a strange phenomenon so who knows I guess.

I definitely believe in the afterlife. I had a scary moment today where for the first time I had a thought like this..Like "Why are we here just waiting around to die...Killing time..Even regular functioning people..wake,work,home,bed. I snapped out of it soon after. Logically I know there are many amazing reasons. Love being the main. Things like when my darling little niece was born,beautiful sights and music and things like falling in love seem to be good enough a reason for me. When anxiety reduces..So do these awful thoughts. It's all emotion based. There are times when we have all felt ELATED and want to BURST with happiness. These times are still waiting to happen again...for all of us. I just think at this stage in my life I have had less things to really be happy about. The one person I ever fell in love with...I fell out of love with..and I have lost two great people and seen so many young people my own age pass away. I know in my heart though that the balance is going to tip back the other way. I can't wait to see my child's face one day!!

Can any mum's or dad's in the house explain how it feels to see your child for the first time? I know this is an odd place to take the convo but I love these little things..

I had 2 miscarriages (2 boys) before I had my daughter and it was the most wonderful feeling, I have never felt so happy as that moment when I held her for the first time. I have 2 lovely sons now as well but lost a baby girl 2 years after my youngest son was born..One thing that makes me believe there is an after life is that not long after I lost my baby girl, I was at a friends babies Christening and I was very upset because her baby was the same age as mine would have been. My 2 year old said "That baby is dead isn't it mammy" I said no it is just getting Christened. Then he said "No not that one" and he pointed to an empty pew in church and said "that one, our baby that died, she is sitting with Jesus there" I really hope I can see my babies again in the afterlife

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    I had 2 miscarriages (2 boys) before I had my daughter and it was the most wonderful feeling, I have never felt so happy as that moment when I held her for the first time. I have 2 lovely sons now as well but lost a baby girl 2 years after my youngest son was born..One thing that makes me believe there is an after life is that not long after I lost my baby girl, I was at a friends babies Christening and I was very upset because her baby was the same age as mine would have been. My 2 year old said "That baby is dead isn't it mammy" I said no it is just getting Christened. Then he said "No not that one" and he pointed to an empty pew in church and said "that one, our baby that died, she is sitting with Jesus there" I really hope I can see my babies again in the afterlife
    Aww Annie that was beautiful. You have experienced such great loss. Of course you will see them..I went to see a clairvoyant with my sister..We are by no means gullible and this lady had no gimmicks..She just got straight to it..We had devised loads of questions...She suggested on the phone before we arrived to write down and ask anything at all. We revealed nothing about ourselves. Not even our last name...Well....The things that this lady revealed were mind blowing. Not just things that could be said and have double meanings..Like cold hard facts...She told us names...dates..people we knew..memories we knew via dad...Things that were so incredibly personal that no one could ever possibly know. I would never believe this kind of thing if I read it but honestly Annie. It was unbelievable. She knew pet names he called us. Things like that. Mind blowing. I have no-doubt whatsoever that I will see my loved ones again. Your babies will be waiting Annie... I can ASSURE you of that xxx

Thanks Lu...I really hope so too. I just believe that they were just too perfect for the world and didn't need to be challenged and tested like the rest of us x

Ann,

Those we love who have passed on are around us always. It is within us all to hear them. We do not need a clairvoyant to stand between us we need a guide to show us how we to do it ourselves.

I was sceptical until a few years ago someone guided me.

Children are those who find it easiest to connect. Hence your son did see his sibling. Adults tend to in the main only hear or feel their lost ones.

Gordon

IF EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information