Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Terrified of colonoscopy.

Re: Terrified of colonoscopy.

Hi No more panic, the CT scan that I'm having on Thursday is a Pneumocolon.. I'm having it done on Thursday.. I was scheduled to have a Sigmoidoscopy last week but the Dr felt that because of my anxiety it would be too painful I don't know how true this is as quite a number of people on here have had it done with sedation... I find all the different procedures confusing ... I can imagine how your feeling Jimsie maybe go & have a chat with your GP...

Thanks Carmen - I was going to look up your posts and you saved me from looking lol.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by carmen2012 View Post
    Hi No more panic, the CT scan that I'm having on Thursday is a Pneumocolon.. I'm having it done on Thursday.. I was scheduled to have a Sigmoidoscopy last week but the Dr felt that because of my anxiety it would be too painful I don't know how true this is as quite a number of people on here have had it done with sedation... I find all the different procedures confusing ... I can imagine how your feeling Jimsie maybe go & have a chat with your GP...
    Thanks for the info. That is a 'virtual colonoscopy' isn't it? Can I ask if you are doing that privately or through the NHS? I know that certain NHS hospitals do use them but they are pretty rare, I cant find a hospital near me that uses them. The downside to a virtual colonoscopy is that if they find polyps then I would still have to go through a normal colonoscopy to get the polyps removed.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    What do you think you will do next? Maybe try it again or go for the general?

The scan is a specific one - I can't remember the name of it though
    Yeah, my plan is to try and get it done under GA now. I can't really see any good reason why a GA wouldn't work. The risks seem to be pretty minimal.

I was just looking at my notes and found that the doctor doing the colonoscopy was just a trainee and apparently having someone with less experience can make it more uncomfortable.

I can't risk going through all the prep, having to arrange someone to give me lifts and the time off work just for it all to be unsuccessful again though. As the nurse said, it could be that i just have a 'sensitive colon'.

I have health anxiety Jimsie, going to the hospital last week was an ordeal & I had prepared myself for the Sigmoidoscopy which is as you said a virtual colonoscopy.. To be told by the Dr that she didn't think it was the right thing for me was very frustrating as I had prepared myself for it so I walked out of the hospital feeling back to square one ..

The Pneumocolon is on the NHS but I am so worried more about what they are going to find as I have had diahorrea for months & I won't get my results tomorrow either that will be another appointment...

I fully sympathise with you hun & although trainee Dr's have to start somewhere you would have been better off having an experienced one it does make a difference as to the amount of discomfort..

Your Dr should be able to organise a GA or maybe it's just a case of an experienced one but we can't pick & choose... Let us know how you get on

You can have a CT colonoscopy-called virtual. I looked into having this but you still need the laxative first. however you still get the gas to inflate the colon but the rest is painless. However you have to bar in mind that if any polyps etc are seen then you cannot have them removed unless you then have the ordinary colonoscopy.
    The virtual one I think was on offer from spire private healthcare but was about £600 or £700.

The doctor just phoned and decided the best plan would be to have a CT scan in the next few weeks. Although this does mean doing the prep again and having even more time off work im glad that they are arranging something fairly quickly.

I think this was a result of me sending a complaint to the hospital. I wasn't quite sure if I was in the right to be complaining since most people are acting like its my own fault but at least something good has come from it.

What did you complain about Jim?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    What did you complain about Jim?
    I complained about the sedation having no effect and the fact that the procedure was so painful that I had to stop the procedure almost immediately. Maybe some people can deal with that kind of pain but I wouldn't wish that on anybody, especially when it is only described as "uncomfortable bloating" and maybe some sharp pain around bends.

This was an intense pain from the very beginning that felt like someone was trying to impale me from the inside. My instant reaction was to pull the scope out myself, there is no way I would have ever been able to just lie back and take that. As you say, maybe its because I was so tense that I was hyper sensitive to anything but surely that is what the sedation is for?

Many people describe having very little perceived pain with the sedation, so at the very least I hope that complaining will mean more effort will be put in to ensure more people have a better experience.

I really don't think anyone should have to go through that level of pain just to diagnose something that is so important. I was also pretty annoyed that I wasted 3 days off work, having to take all the prep and having to put other people out to drive me.

I had the CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy) today and it was much easier. My anxiety was really bad as usual and they kept telling me to stop panicking which is easier said than done. Fortunately this time around it really was only a bit uncomfortable and not painful.

I felt the air bubble up like last time which made me scared because of the pain that followed the air the first time round. But there was only the air and no intense stabbing pain. If I knew that is all there was my anxiety wouldn't have been as bad.

Now I just have to wait a few weeks to get the results but im very glad that I have finally got it done.

Pleased to hear you have finally got it done and that this procedure wasn't so painful for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information