Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrified of colonoscopy.

Re: Terrified of colonoscopy.

You won't know it is painful if you have sedation to be able to tell them - that is the whole point of it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    You won't know it is painful if you have sedation to be able to tell them - that is the whole point of it.
    According to the guide they have given me people find it painful even when they have sedation. Some people say the sedation is just an amnesia drug to make you forget the whole thing.

Yes so you won't remember it being painful.

You have to go through with it so why not just go and get it done and see how it goes.

It may not be that bad at the end of the day!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have found this website with people talking about their own experiences. It's quite interesting that all of them say its pretty much painless with or without sedation. I wonder if that website would just avoid posting the bad stories to not scare anyone off.

http://www.healthtalkonline.org/Canc...ng/Topic/1402/

So many conflicting stories around the internet, all from one extreme to another. I don't know what to think anymore.

That website seems really useful though. I'm sure others on this website would benefit having a look on that.
    Last edited by jimsie; 14-10-12 at 23:22.

I have never heard any one say it was painful and I know many others including myself who have had it done.

I wouldn't keep searching for answers to be honest. Everyone is different and there is a balanced view on here as to whether it hurts or not.

As I said just go and see how it is for you and if it is too painful then ask for sedation during the procedure.

Hi I had one done a couple of weeks ago. i worried about every thing including taking the laxative! it was not as bad as the worry for 2 weeks before! I had no sedation just an injection of mixed pain relief and muscle relaxant-they said if needed it could be topped up. My friend was even offered gas and air as she felt some pain. however she had a bowel o in the past. yes i could feel it-but at last i was fully able to have told them to stop if needed and also when it did hurt I told them and he went a bit easier! apparently its worse for women than men as there isn't as much space in there! at first i thought never again-but if needed I wold do it again and without sedation-yes apparently it makes you forget! I like to know what is going on. I saw most of it on te screen. It is such a worthwhile test to save your life. It only took 20 mins.No recovery time-well abut 30 mins to pass the wind out-then felt so good hungry and enjoyed my toast and tea so much!You will be fine. they let me take my relaxing sea sounds in on my little potable music muvo thing. Just ask they won't mind.good luck
    after it is such a relief. the worry is the worst bit and then you you wonder why we put ourselves thru so much worry!

Nothing to worry about jimsie, i had one this last tuesday without sedation, all you get is like bad wind discomfort and some slight sharp jabs where camera is going around bends, you can watch on screen whats going on and everthing is explained to you, was very interesting.

Hi, I have had five colonoscopys because I am on a five year recall system due to doctors having found several polyps in my colon. Never once have I experienced any pain - only a slight feeling of discomfort. Yes make sure you ask for the sedation and then it will only be a vague memory. So far as I am concerned the worse bit is the day before when you have to take the medicine to clear your bowels which has you sitting all day on the toilet. Whatever you do don't plan to go far from a toilet on the day before. The other good news is that they normally give you the result there and then so you do not have to spend any further time worrying. Best wishes.

Thanks for the responses, it helps a lot. Strangely enough im actually looking forward to the prep. I'm curious to find out how bad the taste can really be. 2 letres over 2 days dosn't seem too bad. I will probably regret being so confident about when i have to take it tomorrow. At least I have control over that so it dosn't scare me like the potential pain does.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information